Win XP 64 bit doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
I am evaluating win xp pro 64 bit ver. Trying it cause 32 bit ver doesn't use the full system ram i have. I have drivers for all my hardware except for Dlink router (502T).
I want to ask how many use 64 bit windows and is it worth the shift ? Any suggestions ?
Also where can i find 64 bit drivers for Dlink router (have to use the usb connection and not the lan connection).

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
As of now, it is not worth it. Not all the applications make full use of the 64 bit architecture, and there is not much of a gain when you shift onto 64bit.

BTW, instead of Win XP 64 bit, i would suggest you try out Vista 64 bit. Have you checked Dlink's website for the 64 bit drivers? If it is a new product, Windows Vista's Windows Update is bound to have this update.

Does not 32 bit use 4GB rams?

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

Windows 32 bit memory manager is limited to a 4 GB physical address space. Most of that address space is filled with RAM, but not all of it. Memory-mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs.
source - *www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

It doesn't uses the full 4gb ram, instead shows only 3.50gb RAM.

I didn't tried vista 64 bit ver cause i have read that it's application compatibility is very less. Still i'll give it a try .. is there an evaluation ver of it?

I did checked on Dlink site but couldn't find any 64 bit drivers for my router. If someone finds them then please tell me else i'll ask mtnl guys if they will change my router to one which has more lan ports (there is one given by mtnl wich has 4 lan ports and no usb ports don't know it's model though).

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I am a recent victim of 4gb ram not working & have read a lot on the web & planning to try 64bit.

In this week I will install a vista64 & will test it, I have only 2 application which will make use of 4gb ram, but even other 32 bit application will benefit within 64bit bcoz the way each application is assigned ram it help in 64 bit.
I want to ask how many use 64 bit windows and is it worth the shift ?
I have concluded YES its worth, but I too will face the driver issue, hence I need to test.

Also where can i find 64 bit drivers for Dlink router (have to use the usb connection and not the lan connection)
Thats surprising as all LAN drivers are built in XP, are you using the latest XP64 with SP2?

Does not 32 bit use 4GB rams?
The way it does is very frustrating you can read these threads I posted.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68898
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65899

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

ranjan2001 said:
Thats surprising as all LAN drivers are built in XP, are you using the latest XP64 with SP2?

Not the LAN Drivers .. that is fine .. i need drivers for using my router's usb connection. I have searched everywhere but couldn't find 64 bit drivers for Dlink 502T router. I'll ask them to change my router tomorrow lets see what happens. If they don't change it then i'll use a lan hub.

A day of using 64 bit windows and i can say it's definately faster than 32 bit ver. Apps load real fast.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
hemant_mathur said:
A day of using 64 bit windows and i can say it's definately faster than 32 bit ver. Apps load real fast.

Yes thats true thats what I have learnt, its faster OS bcoz each application can take full use of 4gb ram, so what ever ram is free is utilized by the OS &other programs. I am eager to try 64 bit OS soon.

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

64 bit is a good choice .. everyone should give it a try. I have shifted full time to it for few days lets see if i run into problems.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
another vote for 64 bit vista its quite smooth with 4gb.
I just installed it & I am wondering why did I not use this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom