Will there ever be commercial games on linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I mean, the latest games. Not the 5 year old ones. What's holding it back now? Will there ever be Half life or FEAR etc for linux?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
The main thing holding back is porting of those games to Linux, which doesn't have DirectX and will never have it. Secondly, there's not such a high user base for Linux compared to windows and out of those most people aren't the ones who really like playing games and all. So, it's a vicious cycle.
But, AFAIK there are a few game, too few to make a major impact.
I believe that there will be eventually latest and greatest games for linux too but it will surely take some time as the momentum is clearly towards Windows right now.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
tech_your_future said:
The main thing holding back is porting of those games to Linux, which doesn't have DirectX and will never have it.
Developers are already working on it. And soon DirectX will be available on Linux. More...

Edit: Link corrected.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Looks like he's given a wrong link by mistake. And googling shows me that it's DirectX API being developed for cedega. That's not the same as saying DirectX for Linux.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
JGuru said:
@Subratabera, Man what link you have given!!! The link opens a Photo gallery!!!

Oooooops. I am very sorry for that...

The correct link is here --> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=344627&postcount=14

BTW, how about the photo gallaery. All the Photos in that gallery are free to use...:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom