Will Java & .NET KILL C & C++?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Yes thats the question, Will it?...........Just want to know whether these platforms will ever replace the Native C & C++..........? :rolleyes:

As both Java & .NET are Virtual Machine based environments, they will be secure & programmer friendly...........But it is traditionally believed that a VM based environment like Java or .NET is too slow for performance apps like games & real-time renders(even with JIT Compilation)............But seeing as the way hardware technology is going ( Quad-Core CPUs, General Purpose GPUs like nVidia CUDA).

I think at one point, hardware will become so powerful & general that even a interpreted language like Java can be used create games like Crysis........... :p

What do u think guys?. :smile:

Pathik

Google Bot
With my limited knowledge, I would say Never.
I think at one point, hardware will become so powerful & general that even a interpreted language like Java can be used create games like Crysis........... :p
At that point, Crysis will be to gamers at that time, what Mario is to us now. :p

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Of course not! Even with all the optimizations a VM language can have, it cannot come even close to the speed of C or C++, which in turn cannot surpass the power of pure assembly language.

As for crysis... we could use it as an insult. "Only little girls play crysis! Real men play <insert name of latest bestseller game that runs in 4d with a 2 terahertz gpu> "

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
No .. No other language can overtake C/C++ in the performance. I have worked both on Java and .NET , even though both are powerfull enough, they cannot surpass the elegance of C++. For regular desktop application where speed is not a issue .. Java, .NET or any other language can take their place. but when it comes to services and drivers.. nothing can beat C++ .. infact almost all drivers are written in C++.IMO C hold the market share for embedded devices (firmware, not the applications). ex :GPS navigators, cellphone's etc etc..

Yes thats the question, Will it?...........Just want to know whether these platforms will ever replace the Native C & C++..........? :rolleyes:

As both Java & .NET are Virtual Machine based environments, they will be secure & programmer friendly...........But it is traditionally believed that a VM based environment like Java or .NET is too slow for performance apps like games & real-time renders(even with JIT Compilation)............But seeing as the way hardware technology is going ( Quad-Core CPUs, General Purpose GPUs like nVidia CUDA).

What do u think guys?. :smile:

I think charan gave the best reply to this answer.

No .. No other language can overtake C/C++ in the performance. I have worked both on Java and .NET , even though both are powerfull enough, they cannot surpass the elegance of C++. For regular desktop application where speed is not a issue .. Java, .NET or any other language can take their place. but when it comes to services and drivers.. nothing can beat C++ .. infact almost all drivers are written in C++.IMO C hold the market share for embedded devices (firmware, not the applications). ex :GPS navigators, cellphone's etc etc..

nightcrawler

Broken In
my question...can you write an OS in java or .net ?
No. All OSes are written in C and to some extent C++. And as someone said. The VMs of Java and .Net have been written in C/C++. Drivers are written in C for efficency and the direct access they give to h/w.

So C/C++ will never be replaced at least in next 50 yrs. (BTW did you know C/C++ are still being developed...new things being added onto them) Can't say never coz someone might come up with a language better than C/C++ and the one which meets future demands. But for sure it won't be a langauge which needs a runtime environment(read virtual machine).

Thanks

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
C is the best language in this world and C++ is an Object Oriented Programming approach to it. It is not so easy for any other languages to takeover.

I found most of the coders use C++ at Google Code Jam. Then the next popular language is Java. (Considering only top ranked coders)

chandru.in

In the zone
A lot of applications can be coded in Java/.Net. But killing C/C++ is too big an ambition for both.

The VMs of both (JVM and CLR) have several undefined behaviours (threading, GC, etc) which can make them unsuitable for certain critical systems (critical embedded systems and certain avionics equipments which need very very high level of predictability and speed).

When C/C++ can't beat ASM still (high-end games, firmware, etc.), Java and .Net will not kill C/C++ at least for another decade.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Never

Reason- Controllers (Automotives) and Robot Programming is done in ANSI C.

Also there is a LARGE.... A VERY LARGE community of "Linux" which COMPLETELY C and C++ based :p

mastermunj

In the zone
C is mother of all the programming languages recently we are using. C++ is its OOP version.

The best thing about C is that it is written in C, YES, its bootstrapped.

Linux is in C / C++.

Almost all of the drivers on earth are written in C / C++ / ANSI C.

Java is also written in C / C++.

I strongly feel that as far as programmers and programming is alive. C will live and always have its significant position in programming world :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom