Will a laptop hangs at customs department

Status
Not open for further replies.

harikatt

In the zone
hi.

i am expecting to buy a laptop from ebay.com ,, the sellers are interested in sending the items from US .,

i would like to know is, if i pay money to the item i won from ebay.com instead of ebay.in, does i get 100% guranntee in receiving the item.

does any body know who had received items from international shipping.

need help on this.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well if u pay via CC on eBay u get a 50k money back policy that says if any problem comes up like no delivery or faulty device or any such, eBay will return the money, as eBay transefars the money to sellers acount only after u confirm that product received in working condition...

refer to eBay's Help Docs and FAQs to learn more about these process... they have a Live Chat too, where u can ask this question to their customer care... :)

i suggest pay via CC on eBay.. its safe :p

hailgautam

Youngling
if you get the something from foreign country, and that too through courier/post etc it is most likely than not that Customs Duty will be charged. However most of the time computers pass without any problem if it is being carried by someone.

OP
harikatt

harikatt

In the zone
but most of the US ebay.com is dependent on paypal account to pay money, and as per the help it says, even the paypal is secured for paying money. is this correct., they say i will get item from US thru DHL. so if i pay money i will get money without losing it, right??

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
You will be charged customs of 21% duty if items are shipped, where as if some one coming from abroad can carry the same laptop & no custom duty will be charged.

shipping even for personal use is different from carrying the laptop for personal use.

OP
harikatt

harikatt

In the zone
you mean if i pay the shipping charges also to the item, it mean its covered with all these customs charges know. do you think thru dHL if he sends it will not reach to me,, but hangs at customs department.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
DHL will call 2 inform u about the packet once they get it & the charges of duty & on ur approval they will clear the packet from & then u have to pay them to get the delivery at your place.

any courier will go through customs only but will be charged only if it falls under custom notified item groups

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
It means If anyone wants to import it through the courier like DHL then the company pays it first to clear it from the customs and the same is charged later to us by the company....

I just enquired to UPS that how much I have to pay to their courier company if I want to import any computer hardware from US...they replied me that I have to pay Rs.3511 ( items below 500 grms)...Is that true..

Also the 21% of what..

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Most courier have weight slabs such as 500gms/ 1-5 kg/ 6-10kg/ 11-20kg etc.

21% the total billed value of the laptop.
eg:
laptop cost is 50000/- they will charge 21% of 50000 which is RS 10500/-
BTW 21% is max duty chargeable on IT products, u may be charged less, I cant confirm this as the info on customs website is bit confusing this time.

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
So basically the courier charges are based on the total billed value of the product..

That means if I want to buy any RAM or HDD costing around Rs.3000 then I have to pay 21 % of 3000 to the courier here in India and nothing else..is it right..??? what ever of 21% comes out is all inclusive taxes and all rates.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
basic product cost + tax
courier charges (not based on cost but, weight slabs/distance)
custom 21% max on basic product cost + tax

Thats what I have been charged 2yrs ago when I got some stuff from amazon.com

Last edited:

hailgautam

Youngling
I dig out this information on Central Board of Excise and Customs Site:
1. Import of Prfessional Equipment
2. FAQ in relation to Customs Act.

though not related to this thread, but will be useful for some people.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
This concession is not available for items of common use such as Cameras, Cassette Recorders, Dictaphones, Typewriters, Personal Computers and the similar items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom