Wi Fi Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

himtuna

Journeyman
I have Wifi on my laptop( I am not sure but the vendor told me,,, how do I check it?) and on wi fi my pocket PC.

I connect to internet via LAN,and I want to share my laptops internet connections with Pocket PC over Wi Fi at home.

Do I need a wireless router ?

Soft-Specs
Windows Vista
Windows Mobile 5.0

anand1

In the zone
Yes u will have to buy a Wirless Switch or a Wireless Hub Wireless Router will be a bit costlier and not suited for your requirement.

To chek the Wireless on your Laptop Your Laptop might be having a button externally pressing it can enable the Wireless connection and the Notification Area of your Task Bar will show the icon of connectivity.

But the above depends on your Laptop Vendor or Model best thing is to go with your Laptops user mannual it must have been mentioned there.

OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
I am ready to spare the extra bugs..
But before that ...I want to confirm if will be able to carry my laptop all around in home with internet connectivity,
and the LAN router provided by My ISP be connected to to the Wireless switch?

anand1

In the zone
Ya definately i have installed my Wifi Airtel Hub Of Beetel made and it is working dear.

If u need how to connect it then i can help u too buddy !!!

Last edited:
OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
Techies Rule The World !!!!!!

Good Indeed.

I dont have any such button you mentioned
But I searched the entire product manual but no signs of wi fi....
what to do now.... buy a PCMCIA card for wi fi.........???
HP Palath Evo N610c

anand1

In the zone
Wait a min i will have to look for your vendor mannual.

Go here
My Computer - Right Clik - Manager - Device Manager - Network Adapter
and there look for the WiFi Network adapter if it is installed or not.

Ur Laptop might be having it. If it is not installed then run your Motherboard CD and install the same and then you will see the WiFi Icon on your Notification Bar.

Last edited:
OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
No no wifi adapter.......

cant se it in the list.........

Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network Connection

Shutting Down....

PCMCIA what the cost of it?
wifi router which one to buy?

anand1

In the zone
For WiFi Router go for DLink. Or Beetel one if this is available in market. DLink Will work well as i have used it.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes you can. A Wifi PC Card will cost less than 1k. A 4port wired cum wireless router will cost you under 3k. I use Linksys WRT54G and it works like a charm. It cost me 2.6k 3 months back. Just search the forum. This question has been asked quite a few times. So search the forums. You can find more info regarding your queries.

Also check this thread for a complete howto on the procedure: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62567

anand1

In the zone
For PCMCIA Card go for Netgear WG511 Wireless 54Mbps card which will cost around Rs 1000/- Approx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom