Wi-Fi Connectivity Reaches Indian Railway

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Typical gasbag 'aam aadmi' mentality. WiFi is a useful addition, nothing changes that. Yes, lots of improvements needed still, but no need to be cynical about it.
That because the railways hasn't been able to provide the basic facilities, and are going ahead with such "useful additions". That's a useful addition, I understand, as I too suffer from weak network signals on my data card while travelling, hampering my internet connectivity, but the question is FOR WHOM? In my opinion, the railways should concentrate first on the basic amenities like proper booking system, management of crowd in a better way (to stop incidents like the one happened at Allahabad Railway Station during the Mahakumbh), ample trains to carry people in a "civilized way" (so that those who cannot afford to travel in AC, could have a decent travel, if not a memorable one).
The railways should first ensure that people should be confident of reaching their destination (rather than getting killed in mishaps happening out of no one's fault, and then the railway minister announcing an ex-gratia compensation of Rs. 5 lacs to the next of kins or Rs. 25K for the severely injured), and that the people should not be stranded at the railway stations in case their trains are getting delayed or cancelled.
Have you ever seen very small railway stations enroute any of your journeys? Have you ever pondered over how a physically handicapped or a visually impaired person will board a coach whose steps are about two feets above the "platform" he is on.
Did you ever tinker about a person who is filling his bottle of water from the water supply lines that are used to fill the tanks in coaches for use in the lavatories, and why he's doing so, even knowing the use of that water? May be he isn't able to or willing to buy a bottle of "RAIL NEER" on which MRP is printed as Rs. 15, but the vendor sells it off for Rs. 18 saying that he has to incur costs of cooling the bottle, and the drinking water points are either dried out or not working at all.

We have so many 'engineering' colleges around India, why doesn't the Govt encourage some design contest?

The government is the only hurdle behind this sorry state of the country. I'm not blaming any particular party or government, but all. Remember one project of IIT Kanpur-SIMRAN (discussed here in detail)?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
useful addition to maybe 10-15% of travelers, I'd rather prefer bio/chemical toilet implementation, and also BETTER PANTRY cars, if you check the current ones, you'll never eat anything made in train.

When will we move on to next gen engines & coaches, we're still using 30+years old tech, that too of Russia's.
We have so many 'engineering' colleges around India, why doesn't the Govt encourage some design contest?

In this respect i beg to differ...

Indian Railways suffers a lot from insipid bureaucracy,govt. inaction and a hell of corruption...which is admittedly True,but IR has imported its Technology mainly from the British/U.K (during the days of Raj) and then later from U.S. + France + Japan + Switzerland(the latest ABB WAP-5/7 series electric loco,that too more than a decade ago...)after Independence.

But it's true that what @s18000rpm has commented is well worth of it.

The implementation of wifi will no doubtedly help the IT related and Tech Savvy people(who constitute a miniscule of the population),but won't be of much use to the rest of elite + high economic class passengers travelling in these trains.More useful would have been the service for better toilets,hygeine values,Class of Food ,increased comfort....

shreymittal

Being Human
Chennai: 11 coaches of passenger train derailed; 2 feared dead : Chennai: 11 coaches of passenger train derail; 2 feared dead - Video | The Times of India
Yeh log ghanta chalayenge Wifi train me :banghead:

Krow

Crowman
All of you forget that wifi was implemented in Rajdhani alone. Unlikely to be applicable for other trains anytime soon. In that train, a bigger percentage of people is likely to use it. That's a good addition.
There are several genuine concerns listed here, all of which IR should work on. Bureaucracy and Railway Ministers' habit of merely starting more trains to/from their states really hurts our train system. We're still running at 33% efficiency, could utilise it much better.
But I disagree with this "get basics right first, then implement WiFi" thinking. I'm saying get all features for us in whatever order, I'll welcome each one. A step in the right direction is always welcome.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
text link Tamil Nadu train accident: 11 coaches of passenger train derail near Arakkonam; 1 dead, 50 injured | NDTV.com

TOI link - ad every 20 seconds in between news :/

Accident happened in that same place again, 2-3 years ago two trains collided there. ~2007/8 there was protest in that area (near Arakonnam), I was in Lalbagh express that day, train was stopped for ~3hours.

Top Bottom