Why People Play FPS Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

FxBOOM

Broken In
I really cant under stand how can someone play first persone shooter games?
No Man just a hand killing and killing
No Mind required
No gameplay no strategy
nothing to explore
same boring game play level by level

vmp_vivek

In the zone
IT IS CLEAR THAT U ARE NOT A FPS FAN :twisted: BUT AS A FPS FAN, I WILL TELL U THAT IF U ALSO BECOME LIKE US, THEN U WILL NOT ASK ANY QUESTIONS LIKE THAT BECAUSE U WILL UNDERSTAND THAT PLAYING FPS GAMES IS THE BEST PART OF YOUR LIFE SOMETIMES ! 8) :)

q3_abhi

Youngling
Ok. All the FPS games are not like that. Try to become a hardcore gamer in Quake III. Its not that easy. If u say that no mind is required, then try to Hardcore gamer of Quake in a single day. Never possible.

It require shooting skills. And u do have to create strategies while playing " Capture the flag" etc.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Where do I start? FPSes are great stress busters for one. Second, you get to do stuff that you wouldn't even attempt to do in real life. If you think that all FPSes are straightforward, then you are clearly misinformed about FPSes or have no experience/knowledge. Besides, I play video games to relax my mind and not to stress it even further by thinking too much while playing ;)

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
What better way to have the feeling of being in-character than an FPS game? And generalising that all FPS are mere run and gun things will be quite foolish to do. Haven't you tried Deus Ex? Would you say that the game is dumb? What about Thief series? Tha's an FPS with a difference. If I sit down to list such games that belong to the FPS genre, it will take pages. I hope we all managed to get the point across.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
The best reason was given by William Gibson (of "Neuromancer" fame. This is the guy that coined the term "cyberspace" if you didn't know this already) when he wrote episode 7ABX13 - "First Person Shooter" in The X-Files.

Mulder: "I've got a birthday coming up." [He models the damaged stun suit] "You have to admit, though, Scully, this is a pretty amazing piece of technology."
Scully: "Yeah, wasted on a stupid game."
Mulder: "Stupid?"
Scully: "Dressing up like high-tech warriors to play a futuristic version of cowboys and Indians? What kind of moron gets his ya-yas out like that?" [Mulder points to himself] "Mulder, what purpose does this game serve except to add to a culture of violence in a country that's already out of control?"
Mulder: "Who says it adds to it?"
Scully: "You think that taking up weapons and creating gratuitous virtual mayhem has any redeeming value whatsoever? I mean, that the testosterone frenzy that it creates stops when the game does?"
Mulder: "Well, that's rather sexist, isn't it? I mean, maybe the game provides an outlet for certain impulses, that it fills a void in our genetic makeup that the more civilising effects of society failed to provide for."
Scully: "Well, that must be why men feel the great need to blast the cr@p out of stuff."

Well, that about explains it all, doesn't it? :D Its all about satisfying the animal impulse in all of us, honed through millions of years of evolution, that has been suppressed and dulled by modern civilazation and currently accepted socio-politico-legal standings. It gives us the thrill of the kill without the kill.

q3_abhi

Youngling
One who don like FPS games will say " Why people play FPS games" while one who loves FPS will say " Why do people play that Non- FPS games. "

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
@FXboom , You dont need a Einstein mind to play the stratagy game too , and who said u don't need to work on a stratagy while playin a FPS.
fps means more involvement in the game , third person games are also good (payne to the max) . but imo 'Why People Play FPS Games' is a real dumb question ............as dumb as 'Why People Play Games' :evil:

G

gxsaurav

just 3 words

kill them alll

I play them just to kill the tension & stress

shaunak

Tux Fan
Lets look at the arguments:
No Man just a hand killing and killing
hellooo.Ther's A reason its called "first person".
No Mind required
how much of it do u need to play strategies? u just need to know the right steps and combos.
same boring game play level by level
isnt it the same with sims?
build building> inhabit>earn *yawn * start over>build building> inhabit>earn> build building> inhabit>earn *yawn *
No gameplay no strategy
played call of duty, americas army, counterstrike,battlefield,... [need a longer list?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom