Why arent people recommending Skylake builds?

Unlike other international tech forums, a lot of people here are recommending 4th gen Intel builds. Considering the fact that Skylake is the next big leap, doesnt it make sense to sacrifice some money or performance for the future upgradability?
If i buy a 4th gen build computer and i want to upgrade it in 2 yrs, i will have to buy a new motherboard and RAM stick along with the CPU.
If i cut down the budget, get a Core i3 6100 instead of Core i5 4460...wouldnt i be more secure for the next 4-5 years? You know, needed to buy a new CPU only..

Most hardwares have made a leap to DDR4, shouldnt we be ready for the future? If this was 2014 i understand, but this is end 2015, we already have the next gen items in the store (albeit a bit more expensive)>
Seeing the price of components between earlier Haswell gen and current SKylake gen, a 4th gen build can get the same performance in Rs15k build compared to a 5th gen build at Rs20k. I think the 5k premium is really worth it since you wont need to haul out 2 extra components in your next upgrade cycle. And when it comes to Core i3s, the Skylakes i3 can really utilize the power of fast DDR4 RAM.
I plan to buy a new rig next year March when my stipends come in. Should i still go for 4th gen PC build or jump into the 5th gen ?

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Thats barely worth the concern. Firstly, the problem is confine to "some" cooling solution .That is, some after market CPU Coolers. Its funny the Investigation doesn't point out the manufacturer's name, as that would have cleared the whole issue, without innocent companies needing to run in to defend themselves. It is too small of a problem. ASUS has more problems with its motherboard than Intel with its Skylakes. People still buy Asus though.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Thats barely worth the concern. Firstly, the problem is confine to "some" cooling solution .That is, some after market CPU Coolers. Its funny the Investigation doesn't point out the manufacturer's name, as that would have cleared the whole issue, without innocent companies needing to run in to defend themselves. It is too small of a problem. ASUS has more problems with its motherboard than Intel with its Skylakes. People still buy Asus though.

It is a widespread problem else it wouldn't be reported on hardware sites.
Intel Skylake CPUs are bending under the pressure of some coolers - PC Gamer

D

Deleted member 118788

Skylake is only ~5% faster than Haswell and Skylake is still overpriced.

I don't even see a reason for the general public who are having a nice Sandy Bridge rig to upgrade even to Skylake.

HE-MAN

Ambassador of Buzz
have you seen what kind of rigs are suggested by people here they all follow a pattern. certain products are suggested for sometime by everyone then that will change when the next pattern comes. And its always the same few guys who dont even game or own a proper gaming rig suggesting gaming config to users. Okay we all use google for our needs and suggestions but dont you think forum is a place for suggesting configs based on personal use and not just google and copied from other forums.

then there are people who will say skylake is only this much % faster then haswell and they are absolutely right in some cases.
but why this dense people suggest old config to someone who is looking to buy a whole pc suggest him the latest platform so at least there is some future proofing.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
have you seen what kind of rigs are suggested by people here they all follow a pattern. certain products are suggested for sometime by everyone then that will change when the next pattern comes. And its always the same few guys who dont even game or own a proper gaming rig suggesting gaming config to users. Okay we all use google for our needs and suggestions but dont you think forum is a place for suggesting configs based on personal use and not just google and copied from other forums.

then there are people who will say skylake is only this much % faster then haswell and they are absolutely right in some cases.
but why this dense people suggest old config to someone who is looking to buy a whole pc suggest him the latest platform so at least there is some future proofing.

Skylake has problems right now. Apart from the CPU getting bent by pressure there are other memory management issues (maybe both issues are related).

HE-MAN

Ambassador of Buzz
Skylake has problems right now. Apart from the CPU getting bent by pressure there are other memory management issues (maybe both issues are related).

you didnt read the article properly they did say it might be a end user error. intel itself clarified that the problem is not in the manufacturing of the wafers and any third party can check it. the process itself is still the same has previous gen.
as for memory issue it was for only a few memory the only one i actual heard and i saw was kingston where it would just default at 2133mhz even after enabling xmp profile in bios even though the ram was rated 3000mhz. this happened on a gigabyte board and they solved it with a bios update

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
you didnt read the article properly they did say it might be a end user error. intel itself clarified that the problem is not in the manufacturing of the wafers and any third party can check it. the process itself is still the same has previous gen.
as for memory issue it was for only a few memory the only one i actual heard and i saw was kingston where it would just default at 2133mhz even after enabling xmp profile in bios even though the ram was rated 3000mhz. this happened on a gigabyte board and they solved it with a bios update

See issues with new architectures aren't identified immediately. It took a couple of months for people to realise that GTX 970 had some VRAM issues(3.5GB + 0.5GB). I would wait for the next iteration to recommend. I don't know about you but I need my PC working 24x7. If it goes down even for half a day it's a big loss for me.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
It takes time for newer technologies to mature. At 14nm skylake is still too new to know the problems. I won't recommend any chip at 14nm for now just because it haven't been fully tested outside the lab.

From the Experts point of view. They want to avoid recommending things that are quite cutting edge or new. Simply because people dont want to run into trouble of troubleshooting themselves. That's why they ask for expert advice in the first place.

And people suspicion about skylake is not totally unfounded. We are already looking at some drastic cost cutting by Intel in the form of thinner wafers. DDR4 compatibility problems etc. And I am sure that as more people would buy this chip. More unseen scenarios would come up.

I believe that as it always happens. The next generation of skylake is going to be the one where Intel and other manufacturers would rectify the problems in this generation. So, by that logic skylake at 14nm fabrication is still too new to be recommended to anyone by an expert.
They will keep on recommending haswell for now as it is a tested and stable processor on a matured node. It also have the maximum compatibility with most of the hardware out there. Performance is quite similar to skylake. And price is much lower without the need for any trouble shooting. Something that every layman want.

isaac12345

Journeyman
Well now that Asrock has enabled overclocking on non-K Skylake processors, those willing to can surely jump on the bandwagon via a cheaper i3, 4 thread skylake chip. - Exclusive: Overclocking Locked Intel Skylake CPUs is Now Possible, Tested - TechSpot

Top Bottom