Why are PC games so cheap on launch in India ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkv0id

Journeyman
It seems so strange to me that even AAA titles mostly launch at the $20 price point in our country, even as people in the US (or any other country) have to pay $60 or more for the PC release (at least until the Steam sales). And barely 3-4 months after launch they get further discounts eg- AC3, Hitman: Absolution @ Flipkart.

Considering how we are ripped off when it comes to most software and tech products, one would expect PC games to cost, idk, maybe $80 or something.

So why do you guys think we get a better deal than even the people who themselves reside in country where the game was developed ?

Thoughts ?

cyborg47

Technomancer
Smaller user base, its smarter to sell games at 20$ and make profit rather than 80$ with nobody buying them. Its odd though, people still buy call of duty like sheep :|

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
Smaller user base, its smarter to sell games at 20$ and make profit rather than 80$ with nobody buying them. Its odd though, people still buy call of duty like sheep :|

Hmm... makes sense. But still, doesn't it strike you as odd that the console editions of the same game is are priced at $60 (same as the US), but only the PC versions are cheaper?

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
Hmm... makes sense. But still, doesn't it strike you as odd that the console editions of the same game is are priced at $60 (same as the US), but only the PC versions are cheaper?

thats cause you can re sell your console games or just lend it to someone but pc games are attached to your steam or origin account and cannot be re sold or you cant just lend it to someone

Sarang\m/

Journeyman
India has a very small userbase. There are many many people who wouldn't buy the game. They just pirate them. So they sell the games at low prices so at least people go out to actually buy the games.

It seems so strange to me that even AAA titles mostly launch at the $20 price point in our country, even as people in the US (or any other country) have to pay $60 or more for the PC release (at least until the Steam sales). And barely 3-4 months after launch they get further discounts eg- AC3, Hitman: Absolution @ Flipkart.

Considering how we are ripped off when it comes to most software and tech products, one would expect PC games to cost, idk, maybe $80 or something.

So why do you guys think we get a better deal than even the people who themselves reside in country where the game was developed ?

Thoughts ?
I've read somewhere that XBOX and PS3 games dvd are imported from outside while the PC versions are made in india only. Thats why.

quicky008

Technomancer
Due to their cheaper prices,the quality of PC games available in India often takes a backseat-for instance,if you buy an imported game,you'll see the quality of packaging for it will be much better and the disc itself will be in pristine condition and will have no scratches at all-this however,is not the case with the games that are manufactured in India.I bought a couple of games recently as i was attracted to their low price tags,however to my dismay,I found that all the discs were badly scratched and it seemed they were bootlegged copies,not original versions.

tkin

Back to school!!

Thoughts ?
Three words, Purchasing Power Parity :)

Due to their cheaper prices,the quality of PC games available in India often takes a backseat-for instance,if you buy an imported game,you'll see the quality of packaging for it will be much better and the disc itself will be in pristine condition and will have no scratches at all-this however,is not the case with the games that are manufactured in India.I bought a couple of games recently as i was attracted to their low price tags,however to my dismay,I found that all the discs were badly scratched and it seemed they were bootlegged copies,not original versions.
:facepalm:

Did you buy them from a street vendor? I and many others here bought many games from flipkart, hs18 etc and from local malls and none had any issues, discs were in pristine condition and scratch free, so was the packaging.

nikufellow

In the zone
Ofcourse not all are honest, but its kinda vague to say that 98% of the gamers in india are pirates.

not gamers i was talking about sotware piracy in general,at least my experiences makes me believe so , i maybe wrong but for me it looks to me like maybe 1 or 2 in each 1000 gamers are willing to shell out real money , again that could just a matter of me not having enough exposure btw as of now i'll stick to my inference .

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Well regarding softwares you can tell 99% are pirates excluding Windows. And 1% belongs to Antivirus. But I think here at least 10-20% Gamers buy original games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom