Which WIN OS to Install with this Hardware Specs ?

amjath

Human Spambot
i also installed windows 7 on my pentium 4 HT 531 3ghz , it had the same issues with the sound card, after installing numerous xp drivers it wasnt working so i tried Realtek HD drivers and it worked,try it out it may work for u
xp runs slower than 7 on my p4 pc
i havent tried windows 8 on the p4 pc yet since i fried the gpu years ago :D
does it work with the onboard gpu?

On board GPU yes. Could you please post the link for sound card drivers, also how do i know that this driver works with my addon sound card

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
i dunno even mine was a weird old outdated sound card but the normal realtek HD audio driver worked somehow
heres a link though-
Realtek

i had actually given up hope on that pc since its my oldest but fond memories!! :D
but after this it works perfect
btw which P4 do u have? mines a prescott HT edition

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
Guys,

I am so...so...confused between installing Windows 7 or Windows 8 ?? isn't windows 8 made and meant to be used more for touch enabled devices mine is not a touch screen laptop. So should I go still with Windows 8 ? Or it makes no difference if you have a touch enabled laptop ? Will windows 8 still be a better choice ?

Thanks !

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
depends on your taste.i find win 7 simpler to use but one of the main reason behind it is me being a power user so not sure how much difference it would make to an average user.there are people here(average as well as power users) who are happy with win 8.

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
depends on your taste.i find win 7 simpler to use but one of the main reason behind it is me being a power user so not sure how much difference it would make to an average user.there are people here(average as well as power users) who are happy with win 8.

I consider myself as power user :)

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing about using Windows 8 and I guess it is also the case with Windows 7 none of these OS allow a window opened aside next window in your browser as in you have to do by tabbed browsing open tabs in the same window but you cannot open new windows is that not the case with both of these OS ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
take a look here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/chit-chat/182011-experience-windows-8-i-thought-vista-bad.html

anything browser related has nothing to do with os,it depends on browser to disable tabbed browsing.

RBX

In the zone
I am pretty fast at adapting to new interfaces, but using Windows 8 on a friend's laptop gave me headache (I think his touchpad was partially at fault).

Another of my friend has pretty low end HP laptop with 2nd gen core i5 + 4GB DDR3, he was fine with windows 7, but after he did a clean install of Windows 8 his laptop started freezing often and he switched back to windows 7 in three days. So, I'd suggest that instead of buying windows 8, install a trial version (I think 30/90 days trial is available) first to see how well it does on your system.

Top Bottom