Which one to buy Dell Or HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chintan786

In the zone
Hello Friends, i am looking to buy a laptop. My budget is 50K. i have selected HP DV 5 2911TX.. price 48999( Croma). and Dell Studio 15.. Price 49741... after customization( dell site)..... and Sony VGn - CR 363G/B.. price 49999( Croma).

which one to go for....?.. if i select Dell then how many days it will take to deliver at home....the only differenece between dell and HP is Dell is 15.4 inches... with backlight feature.. where as HP is 14.1 inches and have Nvidia graphic card 8400M.. although i am not a hardcore gamer.

My requirement:

Entertainment as well as all office work..... most of the time MS office and Internet surfing... i am also into Techanical anlysis of Stocks.. so require a machine which is a bit faster and powerful for Data analysis purppose.

what u people suggest?

chintan786

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Since ur requirements are entertainment,office work, net surfing , stock market..I will recommend you a big screen so obviously go for Dell...Also try to find out any 17" laptop that would be much good for seeing movies and stocks..I have a 14" Acer and I am very fond of movies..I really miss big monitor !

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Yup, DELL is the best for ur kind of work.. :)

also, i think sticking to a 15" monitor will also be good (if u wanna carry the lappy) from place to place in the same location u are working in... coz the 17" wala be a bit heavy..

but yes, please GO IN for a DELL only.. :)

although the DELL has 8xxx series of graphics card whereas the HP's DV series has 9xxx series of graphics card..wich is the only advantage HP has over DELL.. :)
---------------

Cheers n e-peace...

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup. np.. btw enquire fully abt after sales support..also are u planning to buy it from the DELL's site ?? or from a store ?? like Croma ??

OP
C

chintan786

In the zone
As far as Dell is Concerned i am planning to buy this from Dell's Site... on there indian site when i customized it i get this fig.49741.. it includes all Taxes and Extras.... i yet to negotiate with them.. as many ppl are saying tht.. we can easily bargain for 3k-4k with there call center executive....i have taken the point tht watching a movie on 15 inch is pleasure compare to 14 inches with both hands...also Dell is offering backlight Keyboard .....i am still going to wait for 1 month.... As i looking for someone who is returning to India from the US...if i find some one then i will buy SONY VAIO VGN FW290.. it is 16.4inches and cost me around 46k.. from the US.........

Just 1 question... if some one is coming from the US then is it complusory to have Laptop in laptop carrin bag only .. or otherwise it will attract custom duty?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Definite NO for CR 363G. it comes with very old ATI GPU X2300 which is not worth 50k

How about this one for around 54k:

*www.sony.co.in/product/vgn-cs17g

Intel Centrino 2 processor P8400 (2.26 GHz)
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM
250Gb HDD
nvidia 9300M
14.1 (35.8 cm) wide (WXGA:1280 x 800) TFT Colour display (Clear Bright LCD Lite)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hey chintan, okay. if anyone's bringing laptop from USA, it should be carried as in-use personal laptop with bill. else customs will come into play.

Even in India, the sony CS17G is much better and powerful than Dell Studio 15 due to lot better processor and better GPU.

Among HP and Dell, get the one that has faster and better proccy and better GPU.

Last edited:
OP
C

chintan786

In the zone
thanks Desibond.. will consider CS17G..but just found Sony vaio NS 15G/S.. 15.4 inches...T5800..1GB memory.. can insert two 2 GB each Ram for 4K.. don't know whether it is having HDMI port or not...

here is the link...*www.sony.co.in/product/vgn-ns15g as my budget is 50K

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yep. this one looks good. you need to get extra 2gig ram but it's graphics is not as good as the 8400 on Dell and HP laptops.

OP
C

chintan786

In the zone
ok.. thanks.. would like to now ur views regarding this..
*www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/store...Id=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921665519347

is this worth of buying from the US.. ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if you are going to get from USA, this one should be ideal:

*www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=1660506

i did some config changes

it's a 17" HP laptop with 3gig ram and 9200M graphics.

9600M will cost you another 50$.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
ATI 4500?? I don't think there is no such card for laptop.

did you mean ati 3xxx series?

HD3450 is lot better than nvidia 9200GS when it comes to gaming and video encoding tasks etc. But this laptop is one hell of an entertainment notebook. If you couple it with 9600M GT you have a clear winner.

*www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv7.aspx

I would say that you should extend your budget just a little bit and get this one with nvidia 9600M GT

9600M GT easily outperforms ati 3450 and is currently one of the best graphics solution for laptop.

Verdict

The HP Pavilion dv7 is the way to go for shoppers who want speed, lots of features, and a good-looking design. It trounces the Dell Studio 17 in both design and performance. The 16.4-inch Sony VAIO VGN-FW198U/H may be more portable, but it’s $200 more and lacks the dv7’s graphics muscle. If portability isn’t as big an issue, but multimedia is, you’ll be happy with this big-screen machine.

If you are going to get laptop from US, HP has so many models that can be customized and that is not the case in India. Moreover, for the same price you get lot better customization.

Last edited:

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
Yes indeed that's true... If customised over the net, you can negotiate with the Taxes and VAT..

My roommate did just that and got a whopping benefit of 4K...

Do go in for the Dell laptop, its awesome and is still a bit rare. HP becoming more common these days as every other person has an HP. And believe me I live in a hostel and am studying. Dell's build quality and after sales support is awesome!! Dell rocks!!
That's an unbiased opinion mate!

Now its your choice! It takes 3-4 weeks for delivery according to them, but my friend got it in 2.5 weeks. Maybe that's coz we are in NCR.

OP
C

chintan786

In the zone
thanks a to z......wht u say for Sony Vaio Fw 290.. here is the link..

*www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/store...Id=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921665519347

although the video card is not very good according to Desibond...... but i think in this constantly changing IT world Enough is nothing... evry 2 months down the line things get changed very fast.. but we need to put our anchor somewhere.... i'm not comfortable with 4 kg Laptop....and 3 kg is more than enough for me i think...

Right now i have given myself 1 month... in this 1 month if i able to now someone who is coming from the US then i go for Sony Vaio FW 290.. otherwise buy Dell studio15 from India.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ yep. Get that sony laptop with HD3650 and you have a slim beauty. This one's design is stunning and it's featherlight. Go for it dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom