which one shud i go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
hi

i need to buy a laptop which will replace my current p3 desktop and will be powerful enouhg for gaming and video editting and other heavy work.

after full market research i have zeroed in on 2 models
dell and hp are over priced so i dont want them

the 2 models r -the intel VBI s96j barebone *www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2975(parts here r the ones given abroad. below mentioned are provided in India) and the ACI matrix *www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/ACI_Matrix/551-77363-616.html

now the problem is that, though both have a similar configuration and quality(its seems the ACI matrix is based on the asus s96j barebone as per design)

in long term use(say another 4-5 yrs) which shud be suitable for me? and whose price is justified?

the various configurations available here in India are

Specs-----------------Aci Matrix------------------Intel S96J barebone
Price:------------------70000/---------------------52000(with taxes-ram)------------
Warranty:------------3yrs(type not known)-------------1yrs(National)---------------
Proc:--------------Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz---------------Core duo1.6Ghz---------------
Ram:--------------2 * 512MB DDR2 667MHz------------No ram(get ur own)---------------------
Mobo:--------------------Intel 945PM Express and ICH7-M --------------------------
Graphics:-----------------ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB VRAM---------------------
Hdd:---------------WD 80GB SATA-------------------Hitachi 80Gb SAta--------------
Optical:------------------------Super Multi DVD-RW----------------------------
Screen:-------------------15.4" WXGA Color Shine (1280 * 800)-----------------
Misc:---------------------Inbuilt V.92 56kbps MDC module-----------------------
------------------------------Intel 802.11a/b/g with mini PCI slot ----------------------
-------------------------------Realtek ALC 882 Sound Card ---------------------------
IO Ports: All same

4 x USB 2.0
PCMCIA Type II Slot
VGA Port
S-Video Out
RJ-11, RJ-45 Socket
DC-in
Mic-in, Speaker/Headphone out jack
1 x Min-IEEE 1394
SD/MMC/MS Card Reader/Writer
1.3 MP Inbuilt Web Cam

Dimensions:

Length: 362 mm
Width: 268 mm
Height/Thickness: 28.5 mm
Weight: 2.9 Kg

now looking at the price, warranty, and processor choice(though the mobo is Merom compatible, one wud not find the individual merom cor2duo processor here in India in retail for assembled laptops.)

which laptop wud u recommend in the longer run?

also Intel is selling the VBI assembled laptops thru redington india who will sell me thru their authorised dealer

and im not sure about their service quality

more over i havent found the ACI matrix on any Indian webpages either and neither have i seen it nor do i have their contact info.

so to sum it up i have no idea about their warranty and service quality

so what wud u suggest looking at "all" factors?
which one do i go for?

the ACI matrix with core2duo 2 ghz with the same graphics MRX 1600 and 5400 rpm hdd has a 3Dmark 2005 score of 3740

where as the S96j with a core duo1.8 ghz with the same graphics MRX 1600 with 7200 rpm hdd has 3921 score

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
aha watchful eyes! A few days back when I saw the techtree review of the aci matrix, I figured the same. The s96j barebone is pretty popular and no wonder ACI used it to sell a gaming laptop. I just see it as an extension to the VBI laptops sold by Redington India. But I doubt the aci matrix would be assembled in India. Doesn't matter really. Seems a killer deal. Tha s96j barebone costs around 650 USD. Add to it the RAM, HDD, ODD and the t7200 CPU(290USD) - it would add upto around 63-64k INR. Add the price of the sticker on the front lid, bare minimum profit margin and the laptop is good at a price tag of 70k. There is no difference between the two laptops and both of them would do just fine unless you are very unlucky.

I would prefer the ACI, simply because its a better laptop with 3 yrs warranty on paper. If you track them down, you will find where to get it from. Contact techtree or search a few old CHIP magazines. You will find ACI India contact info easily.

OP
G

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
im unable to find the ACI matrix ( its model is aci matrix 1500-with same config outside india) anywhere on the internet on indian pages

also from a guy called Unrealistic on TE: the s96j gets verry hot

so will the Matrix unless one uses laptop cooler

and www.aci-asia.com has no mention of the matrix at all.

cud u find me some contact no.?

so if i want a merom for the long run, then i shud go for The matrix

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
All laptops heat up. It is a very subjective issue as in terms of the load, the uptime and other things. If it gets heated up too fast too soon that working on it is impossible, only then it is a matter of concern. Laptop cooler would really help a lot. You can forget about the merom and s96j option.

I can pass on the ACI contact info in another day or two when I return home. Good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom