Which is the best linux os?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
ashisharya said:
if u have more than 128 RAM u should go for RedHat but if u have more than 128 RAM go for Fedora.
Oh I thought Red Hat and Fedora are quite similar...............

Satissh S

Youngling
e-freak said:
Absolutely right! Digit even reviewed it to be the best linux distro around but unfortunately it doesn't come for free :cry: . u need to spend rs.4700 to get that's it's disadvantage. I have heard that fedora is good but mandrake made me crazy! :!:

tuxfan

Technomancer
khattam_ said:
Oh I thought Red Hat and Fedora are quite similar

Actually, Red Hat changed the name of its distro after version 9.0. So Fedora Core 1 could have been Red Hat 10, Fedora Core 2 could have been Red Hat 11 and so on.

Red Hat being the earlier version, the Minimum Hardware Requirements will be low. So even with less RAM it would run. But FC being a later version requires more RAM.

But I will not recommend anyone to use RH9, go for a later distro, at least FC2.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
cryptid said:
if u have a 32 mb ram go for ubuntu
No way!
GNOME wont run on just 32 MB. If you additionally install IceWM or XFCE then only it will be responsive enough to work with!

cryptid

Journeyman
GNUrag said:
cryptid said:
if u have a 32 mb ram go for ubuntu
No way!
GNOME wont run on just 32 MB. If you additionally install IceWM or XFCE then only it will be responsive enough to work with!

Well i have the original cds shipped to my door step and in that it says that to run the live disc u need a min 128 mb ram and to install it on ur box u need a min 32 mb ram, i may not be a linux power user but i know wat i read

check out the pic its of ubuntu 5.04 cover

*dl8.rapidshare.de/files/4889800/88061811/32_mb_proof.jpg

ujjwal

Padawan
Actually minimum requirements for a distro like Ubuntu cannot be definite, you can probably run it on a 486 with 16MB RAM. However, out of the box, such distributions ship with a desktop environment like Gnome, which is too slow to be usable on such hardware. As GNURag said, installing and using XFCE, IceWM, Fluxbox or FVWM will make things much faster, although it requires extra work on part of the user to switch to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom