Which is the best linux os?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWEET SNEHA

Journeyman
^^^If I am not wrong LINUX itself is an OS.

U may want to know the best distributer.

Maybe I am wrong, correct me if i am

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Right, Sneha.

@deepak - You should have used the Search facility in this site before posting this, pal. There are similar threads which will give you a very clear idea as to which distro to go for.

Here's a major one:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9271

linux distro

you are write swetha. people mistake between linux and its distros.

however regarding deepaks query the choice of you distro depends on your need. if its is pruly for home is it is better to choose mandrake or xandros or suse personal edition 9.1.
if you want to learn some from linux better to choose redhat or fedora core 3.
and for more info and distros visit these sites.

www.distrowatch.com to know more about linux distros.
www.freshrpms.net for softwares of linux

tuxfan

Technomancer
I use Mandrake 10.1 (at home) and PCQ Linux 2005 (at office). I like Mandrake, its good. Even PCQL is good.

I chose PCQL for 2 reasons. First, I get updates at doorstep. Second, support is easily available thru their magazine and forum.

Actually, both do my basic job. The distro wouldn't matter. What do you want to do? Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet, surfing, chatting, emailing, movies, music, digital image manipulation, etc. All the existing distros will do this much without any difference :) You won't do more than this, at least while you are a linux newbie :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
SWEET SNEHA said:

You are wrong. Linux is not an OS, Linux is a kernel i.e. heart of an OS. Will you call your heart your whole body? No. Its one of the most important part, but not the only part or whole thing. :)

There are many other applications and sotwares that make the OS complete. Majority of these software are provided (directly or indirectly) by GNU. That is why the OS should be called GNU/Linux. You can go to *www.gnu.org for more details on what is GNU or to *www.fsf.org. FSF is Free Software Foundation.

Now you are right. He wants to know the best distribution or distro as it is more commonly called. :)

Gaurav

In the zone
NikhilVerma said:
It depends on usability...

I think Suse 9.1 & Knoppix are good...

My friend thinks Mandrake is good...

agree with nikhil. Hey man nice avatar 'DAVIS OF LITTLE FIGHTER' my favourite character. ;)

sam8240

Broken In
i have found specific distribution for specific purpose
desktop user=mandrake or suse
server=red hat
live bootable=knoppix

A

Ashwin Saxena

I like PCQ Linux.
Cause it is easy to learn and support is easily available.
But If digit team Introduce a New Linux I really like to Use that.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
SWEET SNEHA said:

LOL :lol:
Yeah you are right........
But if someone is askin which linux os is better, they are referring to the distributor........... isnt it??

@Deepak Vsoni
Mandrake and Fedora Core are very good ones i've seen...........
Suse is also good enough but the personel edition (free) lacks manyfeatures...........

If you want to start up with linux and see how it looks and feels, you should Linspire Live whcih came with the last months Digit DVD, or you may also try Knoppix Live..............
Hope you know what Live CDs are........ You will not need to install Linux and nothing on your computer will be written............
Just put in the CD and boot and it will come up and Just take out the CD and reboot and it is like uninstalled..................................

Try it.........

PS: I think you'll need 256+ RAM to try Linspire Live coz it didn't run in my friend's computer, and my virtual machine whcih have 128 Mb RAM...........

ujjwal

Padawan
Arch Linux is the most perfect form of a GNU/linux distro I have seen, but personally I still prefer slackware a tiny bit, maybe because I like to compile lot of sotware from source, so that kind of negates the use of its excellent package manager.

Ah that may spark off a debate, who knows? I like to call my OS Linux, and the software I run on it GNU. The overall picture is GNU/Linux, and there can be many GNU/Linux distributions, each with its own customisation. But still according to me OS == Kernel.

tuxfan

Technomancer
cyberia.in said:
Knoppix or Suse Live for Me, hey anybody from a linux group here who can send mandrake cd's

I am not a part of any LUG, but I can give you Mandrake CDs or bootable DVD. Which one do you want? I have never installed from the CDs (ISO images on Digit DVD), but I have installed from the DVD and therefore know that it works properly.

First, where are you located?
Second, you will have to be willing to cover my costs :)

OP
D

deepak_vsoni

Broken In
i want linux for practice purpose, iam not an employee or such, iam a
BE student and thanks to every one for their suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom