Which is Correct Temperature

dix

Broken In
I have recently installed CM Hyper 103 on my AMD pc. Please see the screenshot and tell me which is the correct temp reading for my CPU.
scc1.png

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
None really. AMD CPUs never reported the correct temperatures. Even Ryzen has issues with temperature reporting. The one reported by CPUID HWMonitor (55 and 69) is probably the closest to the real temp. Check BIOS too. BIOS is probably the most accurate one.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check in BIOS. That is likely to be the accurate one.

These are temperature reading software glitches. They are not applying the correct offsets.

None really. AMD CPUs never reported the correct temperatures. Even Ryzen has issues with temperature reporting.
Phenom II and Bulldozer were correct. Even Ryzen reports correct. It's always the software's duty to take care of the offsets if there is one involved.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Check in BIOS. That is likely to be the accurate one.

These are temperature reading software glitches. They are not applying the correct offsets.

Phenom II and Bulldozer were correct. Even Ryzen reports correct. It's always the software's duty to take care of the offsets if there is one involved.

No.
Temperatures And Many Questions - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X CPU Review

Even FX lineup had issues. I have heard people getting throttled performance even when reported temps were low. Don't know about Phenom though.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No.
Temperatures And Many Questions - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X CPU Review

Even FX lineup had issues. I have heard people getting throttled performance even when reported temps were low. Don't know about Phenom though.
achcha, so at low power < 25 W, there's a problem. At load, it's fine.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Also this:
ALCPU Forums • View topic - Core Temp - FAQ

Starting with the Phenoms, AMD's digital sensor no longer reports an absolute temperature value anymore, but a reading with a certain offset, which is unknown. It is estimated that this offset is between 10 - 20c.

OP
dix

dix

Broken In
The 5-6 C reading was really absurd. BIOS reading shows 44 c . With stock fan temp HW monitor showed 60-65 c when idle and 75-80 c on games. Now it comes to 55-60 on idle. Thats still too high by any standards. I guess putting Hyper 103 wasn't much help or AMD is screwing with me.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 5-6 C reading was really absurd. BIOS reading shows 44 c . With stock fan temp HW monitor showed 60-65 c when idle and 75-80 c on games. Now it comes to 55-60 on idle. Thats still too high by any standards. I guess putting Hyper 103 wasn't much help or AMD is screwing with me.
Whatever your BIOS reading is, that roughly should be your actual temperature on idle.

On my i5-2500K, my idle temperature is typically 4-5 degrees lower than the BIOS temperature.

Typically when you are in BIOS, the CPU runs on the default max rated voltage.

Also this:
ALCPU Forums • View topic - Core Temp - FAQ

Starting with the Phenoms, AMD's digital sensor no longer reports an absolute temperature value anymore, but a reading with a certain offset, which is unknown. It is estimated that this offset is between 10 - 20c.

yea, that's what I was aware of. But I thought offsets are made known by AMD in accordance with model and stepping.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
BIOS reading seems to be the most accurate as predicted. Still you can't really depend on it since you will never be able to see it on load. You can only check if performance throttles or not when it happens.

yea, that's what I was aware of. But I thought offsets are made known by AMD in accordance with model and stepping.

Even if you look at AMD's own official website, you won't find any temperature info not even in any datasheets. Intel does give at-least one value directly on its website(Tcase or Tjmax).

Top Bottom