Which is better - Irda or Data Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a SE K300i and for interconnecting my pc to mobile i bought bf-120 usb to irda adapter.
After struggling for a WEEK i was able to install the drivers for the irda today.
Imagine my utter disappointment, when i found that the transfer rate was 9600 bps (abt 1.2 KB/s). This is really frustrating! :(
I spent Rs.350 on this thing only to get speeds that transfered my 283KB mp3 file(from pc to mobile) in 5 whole MINUTES!!!
Does this always Happen with Irda devices??On the product cover it is written " Compatible with FIR 4Mbps,MIR SIR and ASK 5Kbps". Can i get better speeds than what i get now??If so,pls help me out!!!
I also want to know what speeds do USB Data Cables offer(for eg dcu 11)??
Is it true that one can transfer data from only mobile to pc using data cables and NOT from PC to mobile???(Using irda i was able to do both type of transfers though).
Pls tell me which is a better buy??

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
A data cable is the better option and will be faster too. However, since you already have an iRda adapter, try changing the speed from the iR options. You can set it as high as 4Mbps although most phones don't work at that speed. See if you can get significant improvements.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Datacable is definetly better as IR has LOS issues and a relatively slower than a datacable.
Moreover both of them cost almost the same more or less..

There was a thread on the same issue , u can search for the same....

OP
I

imagineer_aman

Broken In
Thanks for the Reply, suhasingle,nemesis,drgrudge. But, I would like to know if i can change the current transfer speeds of my Irda device?If so HOW? and is it true that data cables allow ONLY mobile to pc data transfers?

theraven

Technomancer
i still prefer IR
btw @350 im sure he chipkaoed u a bad qualirty IR pot
a normal IR that is
what u needed was an FIR port
(Fast IR) which is 500 and above

yeah data cables allow only mobile to pc transfers since thats what they are made for
also each phone model will have a diff data cable

OP
I

imagineer_aman

Broken In
thanks Theraven.now i am clear.i think that the max speed that my NORMAL irda(bafo bf 120) gives is only 9600 bps.but i sometimes wonder why the product cover mentioned "compatible with FIR4mbps MIR SIR ASK56kbps".Anyways,thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom