Which is best office (2007 or 2010)?

Depends totally upon the user. I m not denying the fact that 2010 is better but its costly too, 150$ for Student edition of office 2010. Make your choice :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Lol I have been using Office 2000 on Windows and OpenOffice on Linux for ages now and personally I haven't found anything that I needed that couldn't be done on either.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
There isn't much difference between Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010. The latter is just a "more polished" version of the former.

Rahim

Married!
I got Office 2007 (6 month trial) and Microsoft Works with my laptop. I tried Works and it was poor man's office suite with limitations and feature-thin. I was clueless while working with 2007 as i cant stomach its ribbon "natural" look. Anyway 2003 is much better if one is admant not to use/overlook OpenOffice.org

@OP: Are you planning to buy Office suite or just use your bandwidth?

Rahim

Married!
^Speaking of Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystem, FOSS developers are in a dilemma whether they are working for the community or Oracle?

TBH its all in the mindset of casual users who will never use a quality software like Oo.org when he/she can "get" other for free as well; Oo will do the 90% of work done by casual to moderate work but still the first thing users do is download MS Office withput giving any look to others.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
^Speaking of Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystem, FOSS developers are in a dilemma whether they are working for the community or Oracle?

TBH its all in the mindset of casual users who will never use a quality software like Oo.org when he/she can "get" other for free as well; Oo will do the 90% of work done by casual to moderate work but still the first thing users do is download MS Office withput giving any look to others.
Just because of its name and fame. :evil:
About the confusion amongst OSS devs, I don't think they're working for Oracle, but the community. The MySQL devs have created forks called MariaDB and one more in order to ensure that Oracle doesn't kill GPL license in MySQL because it is one the leading DBMS providers.

having used all office versions as they have evolved, I think 2010 is defintely the best..I m using the beta since it was released and can't imagine going back to 2007.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just because of its name and fame. :evil:
About the confusion amongst OSS devs, I don't think they're working for Oracle, but the community. The MySQL devs have created forks called MariaDB and one more in order to ensure that Oracle doesn't kill GPL license in MySQL because it is one the leading DBMS providers.
MySQL and OpenOffice.org both are actually profitable for Oracle even if they keep it FOSS. They won't kill the GPL license. There is a commercial version of MySQL known as MySQL Enterprise server available too. :)

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
MySQL and OpenOffice.org both are actually profitable for Oracle even if they keep it FOSS. They won't kill the GPL license. There is a commercial version of MySQL known as MySQL Enterprise server available too. :)
Can't say anything about Oracle. It may keep OOo, but MySQL :confused:
because Oracle is one of the industries' top RDBMS providers.

Top Bottom