which GPS Device to buy (Non-Cellphone based)

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
Hi,

I was planning to buy a GPS device for my dad. However i was confused between a number of options.

Here is what I researched so far...
1. MAP MY INDIA for CELLPHONE: I am currently using Map My India app for my iPhone 3GS which does a fairly good job. I tested it extensively in Delhi, Goa, Uttaranchal and on a road trip 250kms down south from Goa. It was able to locate and navigate through the loopy roads in the hills and congested roads in delhi. It was good in locating POI's and saved bookmarks. full marks in rerouting. However it was somewhat inaccurate in locating using street address.

2. MAP MY INDIA using their own device: The software was a bit better than the one for iPhone. But the device was the one from the stone age. Touch screen was horrendous. device kept losing signal when kept on the floor under the open skies. A Nightmare in simple words.

3. Garmin: I use Garmin Nuvi in US and it's the best thing i have seen so far. The device is feature packed. Touch screen is good. The Garmin software is very neat and easy to navigate through. In short the best software and the best hardware for GPS so far.

I am thinking of buying a Garmin GPS. My Question is, should i go for Garmin's Indian Map? Or Map My India's Map for Garmin Devices? Any comments or suggestions?

Garmin Device: approx Rs 5000
Garmin's City Navigator® India NT: Approx Rs 5000 (See Link)
Map My India's Garmin Software: Approx 8000

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
for hardware Garmin's is best, but mapmyindia has the most detailed maps for india so i IMHO Map My India's Map for Garmin Devices will be your best bet.

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
thanks for the reply abhasbajpai. How was your experience with Map My India?

Last edited:

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
with mapmyindia my experience is very good, it has very detailed maps for small cities and comprehensive coverage of all national and regional highways, i myself have tried it in AP, UP, UK (parts of it), MP, punjab and hariyana.

Top Bottom