which GFX cards require external [poWer] ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

[poWer]

Oldskool TranceAddict
I wanted 2 know which of Geforce FX cards require external [poWer] :wink: .
Cud anyone plz tell me which of the following require external power:
1. Geforce FX 5200 Ultra
2. Geforce FX 5700 Non Ultra.
3. Geforce FX 5700 Ultra
4. Geforce FX 5600
5. Geforce FX 5900XT
6. Geforce 5500

funkymonkey

Journeyman
Geforce FX 5700 Non Ultra.( some comes with molex and some does not)
Geforce FX 5700 Ultra
Geforce FX 5900XT

Add to this 5600U/turbo, 5900/5950U, 6600GT,6800NU/U/GT
ATI 9500/9600/9700/9800/X800/X700/X600/X850

OP
P

[poWer]

Oldskool TranceAddict
does ASUS 5700NU one's have a molex adapter & require external Power???

One thing more I had overclocked my old FX5700LE made by XFX and has 256 mb of vRam Ramchips are made by VDATA. Max speed i got in memory was 476Mhz (238 Mhz DDR). if i edit GFX card's bios and increase the RAM speed ahead 476 mhz there in BIOS. wud it help or my GFX card wud be rendered useless???

FUNKY BHAI U really hav very good knowledge on hardware

funkymonkey

Journeyman
well I will personally would never advice anyone not to so something.

Bios flashing can yeild some goods.
The problem with 5700LE is obvious lack of molex.
The AGP port cannot provide more juice required to run card at higher Core and RAM speeds.
Also normally clocking RAM too high wont kill your card useless unless you clock it really too high.
I am guessing you are using coolbits to overclock which is not allowing it to go over 238DDR bcoz it fails driver test. In that case before flashing you can use Powerstrip. See if it allows you to clock your card higher.
If not first try mild overclock through bios flash. Say 240DDR. And flash the card.
See if it is able to handle that.
If it cant then no problem. Normally even with high memory clocks which gives problem in windows and games, you would probably be able to boot to DOS through boot disk and flash back to original bios.
Do not forget to make backup of your original bios using nvflash.
And use NVFLASH 4.42. This is older version but works best, better than most newer versions.
You can mod the bios using NiBiTorv.
You can find it at *www.mvktech.net
Also go to www.guru3d.com forums.
There in NVIDIA card section there is a sticky regarding bios flashing. Read it. It has some really good tips and also ways to recover badly flashed card, And make sure you have all things you need to recover from bad flash before you flash.
Usually blind flash works without problems.

OP
P

[poWer]

Oldskool TranceAddict
I funky I really did OC'ed my GFX card 2 Ultra Levels just by flashing it 2 a GAINWARD BIOS as my GFX card and crad from Gainward used the same RAM. Lucky!!
anyway i had 2 buy new Thermaltake Gaint III to cool my GPU and Ram chips. Truly surpeising was the my GFX card passed the driver test when i used GAINWARD FX 5700 LE BIOS along with their tweaked driver although I had 2 increase my AGP voltage 2 make GFX card stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom