Which cloud storage service do digit members uses (if any)?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
There is a free tier on AWS S3. Idk how much the limit is but you can set up your own cloud that way too.. syncthing should work with it well

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Since no cloud storage provides Linux native support
There are workarounds. Some people from the community have created FUSE drivers that allow you to mount your cloud storage as a drive.

Google drive: astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse
Onedrive: mk-fg/onedrive-fuse-fs
AWS S3: s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse

There is a free tier on AWS S3. Idk how much the limit is
5 GB

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think FUSE based file system is better. Using this you can mount your cloud storage as a drive using the `mount` command. After this it behaves like a drive on your system and you can copy and paste to it as a normal drive. You can also set it to automatically mount at startup by making an entry in the /etc/fstab file.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Damn bro.. So the upside for not having a native client for Linux, is negated from the fact that there exists a way to do even better, that is to make a virtual drive of the could service!
Maybe I underestimated the FOSS community.

Also I think I am gravitating towards OneDrive. Maybe I will start with 1 TB and then move to more space as I require.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi Desmond,
Can you link me a place to get started with FUSE ?
FUSE is just a virtual filesystem. I don't think you'd need to use it directly, rather you'd probably be using some implementation of it that someone wrote around certain file systems. How to use each implementation is generally given in the readme file for each project. Some implementations I have already listed in my above post. For other cloud storage providers, you'll have to search and see whether anyone implemented a solution.

Basically, FUSE is an interface that you can implement to translate OS specific file management tasks into their cloud storage equivalent.

Are there any docker packages for it ?
FUSE is available for all distros, even the ones you run in a docker container. But there are no dedicated images as such only for FUSE. In fact, docker itself uses OverlayFS in the host OS for managing its virtual storages. But this has nothing to do with mounting cloud based storage.

Edit: We use s3fs-fuse at our workplace for reading/writing to/from S3 storage, the instructions for using it is given in the link in my above post.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I have a question. So I subscribed for one month trial of Office 365 Home. I had to add a credit card. But billing will start after a month.
But on Amazon the 365 Home plan is available for a discount, Rs 4149 (*www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Office-365-people-Windows/dp/B00UP4GPQO)

So my question is, I can buy this plan from Amazon instead of using credit card which will charge full price of Rs 5299?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Absolutely.In fact during the recent Amazon Prime sale,office 365 price was 3400 before discount.I am hoping it goes to same level(or even lower) during coming Oct great shopping sale at which time I may buy it.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Well, that's great news! I might deactivate my trial after a month, to wait for that sweet discount. But are you sure it reaches that low? My keepa tracker shows the price have never went below Rs 4k.
Link: Keepa - Amazon Price Tracker

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
upload_2019-8-11_19-50-32.png

I remember the above 3199 price as I almost bought it but changed my mind at the last moment.The current ~4190 is the usual price & there is a good chance that it may drop to ~3300-3400 during Oct sale.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, I thought those drops were pricing errors or price has simply increased over the years. But if I can get the subscription for that low, I would rather wait till October to bite the bullet! :D

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There are workarounds. Some people from the community have created FUSE drivers that allow you to mount your cloud storage as a drive.

Google drive: astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse
Onedrive: mk-fg/onedrive-fuse-fs
AWS S3: s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse
So I went over the FUSE for OneDrive. I saw this warning:

Deprecation Warning: this script uses obsolete python-onedrive module for old OneDrive API, and unlikely to ever be rewritten for new API, so it might be a good idea to use something else more future-proof for new projects, if there are other options available.

Any other options to access One Drive on Mint?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Google Drive, Dropbox, MEGA and my own VPS storage. Mostly everything is spread out between these.

I use Syncthing to sync files between my phone, my PC and my VPS storage.
Can I sync files on OneDrive and is there a good guide to allow me to do that?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I sync files on OneDrive and is there a good guide to allow me to do that?
I would say do it in a limited manner only.Ransomware attacks are commonly increasing nowadays & just for this reason I would not rely only on syncing/always connected usb backups.A member's pc here was infected with ransomware which also encrypted the backup in connected usb drives making entire data gone( krusop ransomeware ). Better keep a habit of manually uploading files for backup once a week(& of course anything extremely important then backup manually immediately) & sync the same set in another online storage account(assuming you get the 6 person office 365 home version) so in worst case scenario you only lose 7 days of backup.

P.S. Also onedrive desktop client syncing performance is not good if no. of files are large(say 50k+). Check this thread OneDrive ungodly slow...? : onedrive & /r/onedrive

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I would like to chime in and say, if not paying for your own cloud storage in DigitalOcean, etc, and for the purposes of archiving and stuff, why not use AWS s3? Infrequent access looks like its pretty cheap. And as for linux syncing, things built around FUSE should be nice.

Right now, I have a home server I use for my "cloud" needs, which as of now, amount to just having networked access to my data, and I use
Code:
sshfs
to manage files on my server.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Can you go about how to buy storage on AWS? It seemed pretty confusing to get into.
Also does it provide any trial before buying/billing?

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Getting Started with Amazon Simple Storage Service - Amazon Simple Storage Service .
Looks like an easy and intuitive official tutorial.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like to chime in and say, if not paying for your own cloud storage in DigitalOcean, etc, and for the purposes of archiving and stuff, why not use AWS s3? Infrequent access looks like its pretty cheap. And as for linux syncing, things built around FUSE should be nice.

Right now, I have a home server I use for my "cloud" needs, which as of now, amount to just having networked access to my data, and I use
Code:
sshfs
to manage files on my server.
AWS S3 is meant for corporate use not your casual/typical user.It does looks pretty cheap & that's why many companies use it but go to any community with users uploading large amount of data & almost everybody picks either google drive or similar storage option but rarely amazon S3.

Can you go about how to buy storage on AWS? It seemed pretty confusing to get into.
Also does it provide any trial before buying/billing?
Just see this & you should be able to tell it isn't a good option for you: AWS S3: understanding cloud storage costs and how to save
just buy Office 365 pack during Oct sale for ~3-3.5k & you are set. As for linux,you can use this How To Mount OneDrive In Linux Using Rclone (Supports Business And Personal Accounts) - Linux Uprising Blog

Top Bottom