Which 4GB DDR3 RAM to buy?

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Below is the configuration of my PC

*i58.tinypic.com/o8z02h.jpg

*i57.tinypic.com/2afzfxz.jpg

I have started to save money and upgrade my CPU, i will buy cabinet, RAM and Graphic card. right now i want to upgrade the RAM, i don't have any idea about what is CAS latency. I am considering this RAM

Corsair DDR3 4 GB(1 x 4GB) PC RAM (CMV4GX3M1A1600C11) - Corsair : Flipkart.com

How is it, and is it compatible with my current RAM?

slashragnarok

In the zone
The frequency would match but the latencies don't. RAMs often don't perform optimally when you mix and match. It's better to get a 4GB stick of the same model or 2 4GB modules of any good brand like say GSKill (the one listed in my signature). 2 4GB modules, however would probably be a waste since your motherboard, I think, doesn't support dual channel memory. Again dual channel memory doesn't have any significant advantage in regular everyday applications. So just buy the same memory and stick it in your second slot.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Buy this RAM as this is fully compatible with your present RAM and cheaper than flipkart as well.

Corsair DDR3 4 GB(1 x 4GB) PC RAM (CMV4GX3M1A1600C11) - Buy RAM Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com

slashragnarok

In the zone
Buy this RAM as this is fully compatible with your present RAM and cheaper than flipkart as well.

Corsair DDR3 4 GB(1 x 4GB) PC RAM (CMV4GX3M1A1600C11) - Buy RAM Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com

Actually the RAM you mentioned has different timing than the one he has.

OP
RON28

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Actually the RAM you mentioned has different timing than the one he has.

what does different timing means? can you tell me how much difference does that make in gaming and normal day to day activities like browsing and watching movies or booting up the pc.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, i found the old box of my PC and the RAM cover, model no. is KVR16N11S8/4-SP, so now i have to buy exactly same model online.

slashragnarok

In the zone
Is it important to match voltage, cas, and timing - Memory - Memory

Go through this thread. I don't think the difference in RAM timings is not so noticeable.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
what does different timing means? can you tell me how much difference does that make in gaming and normal day to day activities like browsing and watching movies or booting up the pc.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, i found the old box of my PC and the RAM cover, model no. is KVR16N11S8/4-SP, so now i have to buy exactly same model online.

The corsair RAM should work fine with your current Kingston ram. This works 99% of time but it's not guaranteed that two modules from different manufacturer will always run just fine together. This also depends on the motherboard and bios also. But if the pc boots then you are all set as most motherboards automatically configures ram modules from different manufacturers and you can always fine tune the settings later.

FYI : The kingston module you have is also of 1600 Mhz and C11 latency setting just like corsair value select 4GB 1600 Mhz module.

Top Bottom