Whether to buy Graphic card or not?

prateek

Broken In
Hey guys,
After reading all your posts here and searching for GPUs, I seem to be a big noobie and my config, a BIG crap. Actually I have an old PC with me which I got in 2007 and at that time I was a just a kid and knew nothing about hardware. My dad got me one then and I'm thinking to upgrade it because now I'm having some issues in HD video playback and playing some of the basic games. Now after reading everything on google I'm all messed and have really no idea what effect will GPU have on my PC.

• I have a HYTECH HT 450W-P4 PSU (crap i know)
  • My budget goes on till 4k.
  • Full HD 21.5" monitor (no specific game settings)
  • And my PC specs are
    1. Intel Dual Core E2140 @1.60 GHz ( phew! )
    2. PCCHIPS P17G Motherboard
    3. 2 GB DDR2 Ram (1*2)
    4. WD 500GB + Samsung 160GB HDD
    5. Windows 8 PRO x64
    6. Philips DVD Writer

So, now finally my queries are whether to go for a GPU upgrade under that budget or first a PSU upgrade is required?
Another will that solve my HD video playback issues? And if i can go for a GPU upgrade then which one to purchase? :(
Any other info please HELP! I'm totally of no idea what to do? :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
for your budget the best gfx card you can get is HD 6570 1GB DDr3 - around ~3.7k but do note that some pci-e 2.1 cards has issues with pci-e v. 1.0 slot so you may need to update your bios if any issue occurs.

And yes it will solve your HD playback issue.

OP
P

prateek

Broken In
Hey thanks for your reply! :)
But here's what i want to ask more that if i wait for some time and increase my budget a bit and go for a HD 6670? Will that work on my PSU as well? Or in this budget any more better GPU than HD 6670? plz?

ASHISH65

Technomancer
i will suggest you gt 630 @3.5k as its pci 2.0 so will have no issues with your mobo.it will solve your hd playback issue.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey thanks for your reply! :)
But here's what i want to ask more that if i wait for some time and increase my budget a bit and go for a HD 6670? Will that work on my PSU as well? Or in this budget any more better GPU than HD 6670? plz?

HD 6670 ( GDDr5 version ) is good and your PSu should handle that but your cpu speed is just not upto the mark for playing many modern games supported by the HD 6670 so the cpu may bottleneck the gpu.

OP
P

prateek

Broken In
HD 6670 ( GDDr5 version ) is good and your PSu should handle that but your cpu speed is just not upto the mark for playing many modern games supported by the HD 6670 so the cpu may bottleneck the gpu.

Are you sure that GDDR5 version of HD 6670 wil run on my board? I mean would that be compatible with my board or I have to get the GDDr3 version to get it running? :?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the type of graphics memory used on graphic card does not matter and has nothing to do with your system .. be it DDR2/GDDR4/DDR3/GDDR3 or GDDR5 all of them will work but some time pci-e version of mobo and gfx card can have compatibility issue though which can be fixed with a bios update.

Top Bottom