whether one should stick to windows XP or upgrade it to vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrkar

Right off the assembly line
friends share your views regarding using vista and XP particularly for gaming.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
I'm a vista user. and I suggest stick to XP, as of now.

1)Its memory hogging.
2)DX 10 isn't out yet, and its still long way before it gets mainstream.
3)MAny S/W which used to work on XP, doesn't work on Vista.
4)Its hard to get dual-boot with Vista(specially, if Vista is installed first)
5)Its bloody expensive.

Josan

Gangsta
I use Vista ,vista is better choice than Xp if you have lot of ram (512)
further if u r going to use it for gaming u need more ram about 1 GB

As i said earlier Vista is far better than XP

Its not bad to use it but you have to upgrate ur system ram to 1gb

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
eggman said:
I'm a vista user. and I suggest stick to XP, as of now.

1)Its memory hogging.
2)DX 10 isn't out yet, and its still long way before it gets mainstream.
3)MAny S/W which used to work on XP, doesn't work on Vista.
4)Its hard to get dual-boot with Vista(specially, if Vista is installed first)
5)Its bloody expensive.

1) Nope, it just uses memory more efficiently then XP. Caches everything
2) Yup, take 1 years atlest for DX10 games to come out
3) There are new version coming fast or alternatives
4) Nope, use Vistabootpro if u like to manually edit the boot configuration. I m myself using dual boot with XP, though i hardly use XP now.
5) Point :D

comrade

foreign return(0)
with 1 GB i think it wont perform anything better....anything over 1gb is reasonable but still i dono why its making my system with 2GB ram a bit slugish.
as far as from what i observed i cud say vista is slightly low on IO performance...more hard disk thrashing than in xp is what i noticed...& even when i dont do anything hard disk seems to be active.

What stupid creep is vista.

U guys may not know that it needs amazing 3 gb ram to perform like xp with 512mb ram.

if 3 is in ur pocket, then even why vista - get nod32/kav n be a bit more secure.

+ indexing service must be stopped in vista even else what the hell is gonna be ur HD life

+ think of torture ur vista does to lifespan of ur ram n other peripherals

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
XtremeFuturistic said:
What stupid creep is vista.

U guys may not know that it needs amazing 3 gb ram to perform like xp with 512mb ram.

if 3 is in ur pocket, then even why vista - get nod32/kav n be a bit more secure.

+ indexing service must be stopped in vista even else what the hell is gonna be ur HD life

1) Nope, have you used it yourself. KAV 6.0.2.631 just came out today & it is no longer slowing down vista. even With 1 GB RAM it is rocking.

2) Indexing service works only when your computer is idle. Just leave it on over night & everything on your computer will be index within 8 hrs anyway. or if you have an organised computer turn it off. Who searches this much anyway.

3) What torture? Tell me if you have compatible hardware :grin: . It uses the existing components efficiently then XP SP2, I do think this is better.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Short and sweet:
If you are a <1> Power user/programmer <2> Gamer <3> New User <4> Bussiness user, Vista is the way to go. [also pirated Xp user]

If you are: a home user, a multimedia ...um.. user :confused: ,have a Xp System with original software installed. Dont upgrade.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Short and sweet:
If you are a <1> Power user/programmer <2> Gamer <3> New User <4> Bussiness user, Vista is the way to go. [also pirated Xp user]

If you are: a home user, a multimedia ...um.. user :confused: ,have a Xp System with original software installed. Dont upgrade.

Wonder what catagory I will come in :D

1) Power User
2) Home user
3) Multimedia (a lot)
4) XP with (mostly original) software

sanju

Journeyman
planning upgrading for vista but confusing about graphics card. can anybody suggest what is the method of knowing machine total configuration and how I know which graphic card is suitable for my machine.....

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
Get this
*www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx
and run it.At present I do not recommend immediately switching to vista
manly because of the hardware costs involved,the cost of the os itself is another isuue.Slowly prices will drop beacsuse if this does not happen vista will not be successful .At present there are not many apps for vista I strongly recommend for you wait for about 6 months (at that time dx 10 cards may also become cheap).In the meantime if you are so impressed by vista's interface try linux out for a few months along with xp.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
sanju said:
planning upgrading for vista but confusing about graphics card. can anybody suggest what is the method of knowing machine total configuration and how I know which graphic card is suitable for my machine.....
Do you already have a computer or buying new one? It depends on wether u have AGP or PCIe slot.

The lowest end graphics card recommended to run aero is GeForce FX 5700 or Radeon X300 . Anything above it wether Geforce 6200 or 7300 or Radeon X700 or X1300 is enough to run Windows Vista.

Which slot you got?

At present there are not many apps for vista I strongly recommend for you wait for about 6 months atleat till directx 10 is launched(at that time dx 10 cards may also become cheap)

All the apps which work with Windows XP work fine in Vista. DirectX 10 is already out in Vista

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Just make sure your hardware has got drivers for Vista...
I still can't get Hardware Sound Mixer of my motherboard to work with Vista. Hence I can't play any modern games either...

It's ridiculous

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom