whether one should stick to windows XP or upgrade it to vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
Sorry for that I meant dx 10 games and not dx 10 which comes bundled with vista.At present fs 10 is available.But how can the apps that work in xp also work in vista since there are essentially diffferent oses with different source codes.There may be some but not all and even those which work may work differently as they think they are working in xp but are actually in vista.Has microsoft retained compartibility tab like xp in vista.This will however not be the situation in games because dx 10 is backward comparitable through dx9ex.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
NikhilVerma said:
Just make sure your hardware has got drivers for Vista...
I still can't get Hardware Sound Mixer of my motherboard to work with Vista. Hence I can't play any modern games either...

It's ridiculous

Don't worry, I m trying to recreate the problem here, can't work much cos i got exam next month. Don't have a K8N-VM with any friend.

But how can the apps that work in xp also work in vista since there are essentially diffferent oses with different source codes.There may be some but not all and even those which work may work differently as they think they are working in xp but are actually in vista.Has microsoft retained compartibility tab like xp in vista.This will however not be the situation in games because dx 10 is backward comparitable through dx9ex.

:D This isn't linux where one application package doesn't works with other distro or you have to compile it. Vista provides backwards compatibility to even Windows 98 era applications. There is indeed a compatibility tab in Vista too which runs an application in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Here is the thing, for few years to come ther egame developers will make games in DX10 with a DX9c fallback engine. They won't go directX10 exclusive cos there are thousands of games out there with & many graphics cards too supporting DX9c

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Vista is cool and shiny but FPS in Games takes a huge Hit no matter how much Ram you have.Its because of extra Services Vista has to run compared to XP.
Google and you will find advise for Gamers to stay away from Vista for now.
Still not many softwares are available.
Some Drivers Issues still not addressed.Still no native proper Open GL support inspite of new drivers release.
With Vista im in a Fix. Installed on my Laptop but no graphic drivers for Intel 915 yet. Runs with hardware Acceleration disabled.So installed XP sp2 again and damn Happy..
Then dual booting PC with Vista ( 6600Gt ) and aero only to show someone. Personally using XP For Gaming.
If you are a professional 3D user stay away from Vista is what most of the gurus on Sites suggest.
Err Ubuntu 7 has better Candy effects than Vista, i dont understnad why will you want to shift to Vista if your productivity is hampered.
Use Vista if :-
1) Fps in Games is not a major issue.(FOr people who love every single FPS in games as hard earned cash stay with XP)
2)If you are not 3D designer and user , then use Vista, but for people who want it seriously stick with XP
3)For people who Surf and use Office Vista is good..
Personally i think i will make VISTA my main stream OS only when it has Service pack 1 released.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Why dont u ppl try Linux instead of Upgrading to expensive Vista supporting the monopoly company?Linux offers all that and more in a virus free UNIX like environment with different GUI's like GNOME,KDE etc.Got all 3D effects via Compiz(beryl) better than vista's aero with less amount of RAM.above all it is opensource and free-software
And U r supporting a software community which beleives in ethics rather than 100% business.But dont take it for granted.experiance new distros like Ubuntu Feisty,Debian Sid etc.

Just a Suggestion;thats all.:)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well linux is good for schools n other tasks where only a single specific task needs to be done , there linux can be completely customized to fit the person's needs .

but for normal ppl who do some "Gaming" n multimedia , XP is best if they don't hv a powerful machine .

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Linux is ready for Desktop Use.yeah it lags in gaming arena.but hopefully that too solves when the volume of users increases.

chicha

High without substance...
Move to linux its nice and its free!
otherwise
XP for now, atleast until VISTA is 3-4 years old.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
3 4 years old, lolz..Vienna witll be out then.

If you are buying a new OEM computer, make sure you get Vista with it. If you are already having a computer & happy with XP then stick to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom