Whats up with all these trash "software" sites?

doomgiver

Warframe
Cnet, Softpedia, Softonic, etc.

Search for any software, atleast 2 of these sites will be shown in results.
And each of them require you to install their own software to "download" what you need.

Stay away from this kind of crap, its usually a fast way to get viruses and malware.

Share your experience, if any.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
CNet started asking to download their own softwares to download other softwares. But later they made that optional.
I don't think these sites serve malware.

And Filehippo is not in your list?

ajayritik

Technomancer
Virtually most of the sites mentioned above had some stupid crap that needs to be installed along with the intended software. Had tough time with one of the softwares I installed to record an online Webinar.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
in my experience so far I have not seen any virus etc but the thing is after the downloader is done with downloading the setup many a times directly starts the install ( setup may not be stored for later ) and you have to be a bit careful in clicking Next, Next, Agree /Decline buttons. Additional software is bundled in setup and many a times it actually is optional, but somehow setup screens may confuse you to click wrong buttons and the bundled additional software may get installed unnecessarily!

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
Yup, extra bundled software is a major part of why I refuse to use these sites. Use torrents to get this sort of stuff.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
AFAIK Softpedia doesn't have any kind of "downloader" unless clicked on one of the ads. softonic is crap. CNET doesn't have updated software most of the time. majorgeeks too have a good enough list and keeps it upto date.

Top Bottom