What to buy from USA/China?

D

Deleted member 118788

Hi,

My friend is in China right now. Is there anything which should be worth buying from there or cheaper? I am open to any suggestions, mostly interested in PC Components, Hardware, Gadgets. No mobile phone. He will be going to USA on 9th May. So anything to buy from there?

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking of getting R9 290 and a SSD.

- - - Updated - - -

What about getting a monitor any ideas?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Why the 290 ? Why not the GTX 970 ? Also, since you were looking for a new monitor a while back, get the ASUS monitor we discussed, i think thats the best for your budget

OP
D

Deleted member 118788

Why the 290 ? Why not the GTX 970 ? Also, since you were looking for a new monitor a while back, get the ASUS monitor we discussed, i think thats the best for your budget

I am getting R9 290 at $240 which is quite cheaper than GTX 970 and it performs better than GTX 970 in higher resolution due to higher VRAM.

I need to know if custom duty will be levied for the monitor or any extra charges. I also have this in my mind. Perfect Pixel Qnix QX2710 LED Evolution II DP Multi TRUE10 27" 2560x1440 Monitor | eBay

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I am getting R9 290 at $240 which is quite cheaper than GTX 970 and it performs better than GTX 970 in higher resolution due to higher VRAM.

I need to know if custom duty will be levied for the monitor or any extra charges. I also have this in my mind. Perfect Pixel Qnix QX2710 LED Evolution II DP Multi TRUE10 27" 2560x1440 Monitor | eBay

No it does not. R9 290 doesnt have the GPU horse power to compete with it a 970 in 1440P before even hitting the VRAM wall. A overclocked GTX 970 can wipe floors with R9 290 in every latest games, sometimes even better than a R9 290X.

GTA-V PC Graphics Performance Review - Image Quality Settings and Test System

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming review - DX11: Metro Last Light

HARDOCP - High-End Video Card Comparison - Far Cry 4 Video Card Performance Review

HARDOCP - High-End Video Card Comparisons - Dying Light Video Card Performance Review

*www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/16

GTX 970 overclocks like a beast, let alone the power consumption and temp levels. R9-290 was a good card when GTX 780 was around. Not anymore.

OP
D

Deleted member 118788

No it does not. R9 290 doesnt have the GPU horse power to compete with it a 970 in 1440P before even hitting the VRAM wall. A overclocked GTX 970 can wipe floors with R9 290 in every latest games, sometimes even better than a R9 290X.

GTA-V PC Graphics Performance Review - Image Quality Settings and Test System

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming review - DX11: Metro Last Light

HARDOCP - High-End Video Card Comparison - Far Cry 4 Video Card Performance Review

HARDOCP - High-End Video Card Comparisons - Dying Light Video Card Performance Review

Overclocking - The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Review: Featuring EVGA

GTX 970 overclocks like a beast, let alone the power consumption and temp levels. R9-290 was a good card when GTX 780 was around. Not anymore.

I have seen the benchmarks you had posted but the difference in performance is minimal at most. Power consumption and Temp level is something where 970 is much better than R9 290 but it also overclocks good enough to the level of R9 290X. I am getting a custom cooler based R9 290 for $240 and that is where I am saving almost $90 than GTX 970. The purchase will be done on 9th May and if there is some good deal on 970 then surely will go ahead with it.

Do you have any ideas about the customs for the monitor? Can my friend bring it without any issues? This is the monitor. *www.ebay.com/itm/141481152682?cust...ipn=icep&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true#payCntId

Will any additional charges to be paid to the Airline for this? Anyone here have experience with these stuffs?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ yes, you are saving quite a lot with the R9 290, but GTX 970 is the card to get imho.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But yes, if you are also wanting to invest in an SSD and have a limited budget, then R9 290 + SSD makes way way more sense than only GTX 970.

Infact, I'd say get a 512 GB Samsung 850 Evo and a R9 290.

OP
D

Deleted member 118788

^ yes, you are saving quite a lot with the R9 290, but GTX 970 is the card to get imho.

even i will agree with this, got my friend zotac gtx 970 , better to stay with new tech........

But yes, if you are also wanting to invest in an SSD and have a limited budget, then R9 290 + SSD makes way way more sense than only GTX 970.

Infact, I'd say get a 512 GB Samsung 850 Evo and a R9 290.

I will go with the majority as all are suggesting the 970. I am already getting the SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB from there. Now the only question I have is about the customs on Monitor. Anybody can share their experience in importing monitor?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I will go with the majority as all are suggesting the 970. I am already getting the SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB from there. Now the only question I have is about the customs on Monitor. Anybody can share their experience in importing monitor?

Import duty & taxes calculation result

This might help, I ran it with a sample 400USD monitor, with an assumed 0 shipping and insurance cost, it resulted an amount o 32K in India after all duties.

OP
D

Deleted member 118788

Import duty & taxes calculation result

This might help, I ran it with a sample 400USD monitor, with an assumed 0 shipping and insurance cost, it resulted an amount o 32K in India after all duties.

Thanks for the great tool. It is really helpful. Which 970 card should be bought?

Top Bottom