What teh hick is this!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satissh S

Youngling
While surfing yesterday, i got something (a message dialog) like this:
messenger service-----> Title bar caption

IMMINENT WINDOWS CRASH WARNING-------------> message text

We have detected fifty two errors in your windows computer. The errors will lead to a system crash in next few hours. Save all of your work and get the free Windows Bug Remover at:

WWW.fixed-pc.com ------> Link

ok----> Button

What is this?
How can they detect?
I didn't take any action!
:lol: :cry: :roll: :shock: :D

technovice

Broken In
please explain dude

the link leads to a site *www.repairregistrypro.com/?hop=ddirectad that offers a regitry cleanup for free!

whats special m8? its seems to be simply a pop up ad that you clicked...or am i wrong?

OP
Satissh S

Satissh S

Youngling
I just can't find anything wrong with my winpc. I use spybot S&D. If it were a popup? how can they detect errors or if they'r lying. That was a message box

technovice

Broken In
message box...hmmm
there are lot of ads that make use of such message boxes....ill post a shot later if can find one
as for how they detected errors i suspect its just a gimmick that lures u to run their registry cleaner. And as you just said you did not detect any malicious s/w or a virus i think your comp should be alright
anywayz keep youre AV definitions updated
and keep realtime online scan enabled

anandk

Distinguished Member
adware infection most probably !

u'v probably bin infctd by :evil: adware/spyware. spybot does not detect all malaware. no single one does. along vit it use microsoft antispyware and adaware. (or spysweeper or spyware doctor). they r d best of the lot.

K

khattam_

That is some kind of an advertisement. Need not worry if you feel nothing is wrong with your PC........

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Ah .. You mean you just got Messenger Spam .. You can remove Windows messenger if you wanna get rid of these spams ..
Doug Knox's Fix

aadipa

Padawan
Batty, the site u gave will help in removing Windows Messenger.

here the problem is with Messenger Service...
The net send pop-ups.

@Satissh S

Please visit the following link and download their software. Then you can disable the messenger spam.

*grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

S

sunnydiv

ype, most of these website, actualyl install errors in yoru computer, just to promote their product

eminemence

Journeyman
If u r using Win2k better install Win2k sp4 at the earliest and also shut down the messenger service found in Services.
Bye.
--eminemence.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Satissh S said:
My Os crashed yesterday and i reinstalled it!! :cry:

congrats for having a clean baby once again to play with!!!!

oooops by the way sumone explain how does window "crashes"..???
ny special error msg u get...or OS ' s performance go below a certain level nd we just name it as "crash"...???

technoteen

Journeyman
yes the error was due to the messenger service. it was not an error but a pop up messenger utility by deafult made up in nt and later systems for message broadcasting on lans

first thing you should do is to get a firewall for your system, if you are on xp then upgrade to sp2 and even the windows firewall is enough to protect you against such minor attacks

for disabling the messenger service go to services in control panel>administrative tools and then disble the messanger service in the list

OP
Satissh S

Satissh S

Youngling
grinning_devil said:
Satissh S said:
My Os crashed yesterday and i reinstalled it!! :cry:

congrats for having a clean baby once again to play with!!!!

oooops by the way sumone explain how does window "crashes"..???
ny special error msg u get...or OS ' s performance go below a certain level nd we just name it as "crash"...???
I don't know what crashing means but it just didn't boot!
I just get a blank screen after the Bios!

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Just ignore the message cos its just an unwanted advertisement.
Enable your firewall,antivirus real time scanning,antispyware scanner like the one provided by MS.
Also install a popup stopper plugin for IE like the google toolbar.
And about the system crash it must be sure coincidence and not related to the popup message.

F

FilledVoid

If i remember correctly ,Installing google toolbar will not limit the messenger service popups ... I think disabling the the messenger service as stated int he previous window should fix the issue

deadmanrulz

Broken In
i got similar popups.... u can stop it by installing shoothemessenger

*grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm it worked for me try it 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom