What killed the dinosaurs?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Okay, the idea is to come up with a totally new explanation for the K-T extinction event.
This is the reasons that dinosaurs died, but also other small mammals. Marine reptiles and avian reptiles (both are not dinosaurs) died too. Crocodilians and turtles survived, so the explanation must allow for that as well. Better if also explains the global iridium layer in the geological record.

Answers not allowed (these have already been proposed):
Dumbness
Boredom
Too much depravity
Blindness
Obesity
Diabetus
Allergies to flowers
Global warming through methane emissions by Sauropods
Meteor Impact
Pandemic
Excessive Volcanism at the Deccan Flats

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
How about contamination from aliens like what is feared might happen to Sentinelese if outsiders visit?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all existence of aliens itself is not proved till now(excluding all the conspiracy theories) & second if by any stretch of imagination it is considered for a moment then again it seems highly unlikely that a civilization capable of interstellar travel will not be even having adequate medical technologies/procedures to avoid such situations in the first place.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Okay, that is good, but would not consider it a new theory
Forgot to mention it in the list, but that Ancient Aliens show proposed a similar theory
Aliens exterminated the dinos with nukes...
and global pandemic... essentially alien virus is also a disease

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Isn't it obvious?
The Time War?

When the Daleks of Sakaro waged a war against the Time Lords of Gallifrey, a seed for the Silence was born. When the Doctor's TARDIS blew up on 26th June 2010, cracks were created by the Silence. Tremendous Time Energy was released from these cracks in the fabric of Space and Time called as Time Fields. While some cracks acted like wormholes, other cracks released pure time energy able to wipe individuals from time itself and remove events from history.

Everyone knows that happened. Well, my theory is that one of the cracks opened at the end of the Cretaceous period, engulfing most of the dinosaurs who just became too curious as to investigate the crack in the Space Time which was alluring enough to invite, but deadly enough to erase from the time itself. Few of the fossils and our memories are just a small snapshot of few dinosaurs who were able to survive, when the Doctor was able to close the cracks for the good.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
lul wat
Isn't it obvious?
The Time War?

When the Daleks of Sakaro waged a war against the Time Lords of Gallifrey, a seed for the Silence was born. When the Doctor's TARDIS blew up on 26th June 2010, cracks were created by the Silence. Tremendous Time Energy was released from these cracks in the fabric of Space and Time called as Time Fields. While some cracks acted like wormholes, other cracks released pure time energy able to wipe individuals from time itself and remove events from history.

Everyone knows that happened. Well, my theory is that one of the cracks opened at the end of the Cretaceous period, engulfing most of the dinosaurs who just became too curious as to investigate the crack in the Space Time which was alluring enough to invite, but deadly enough to erase from the time itself. Few of the fossils and our memories are just a small snapshot of few dinosaurs who were able to survive, when the Doctor was able to close the cracks for the good.

Did you make this up, or is it actually in some season (have not seen post eleventh doctor)?
Because in the older series, a Cybermen spaceship crashes into Earth and kills the dinos

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Did you make this up, or is it actually in some season (have not seen post eleventh doctor)?
Because in the older series, a Cybermen spaceship crashes into Earth and kills the dinos
I don't just make things up! That would be ridiculous. Up until the part I wrote, "my theory is that", everything happened.
You have a lot to catch up.

PS: I only started to watch since ninth doctor.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I don't think anyone here is qualified enough to give a comprehensive answer to this question. At most we can come up with our own theories but to what extent can you trust them? Hell, even actual scientists and geologists only have theories.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I don't think anyone here is qualified enough to give a comprehensive answer to this question. At most we can come up with our own theories but to what extent can you trust them? Hell, even actual scientists and geologists only have theories.
its for fun, read it in a science book that anyone can come up with a theory on dino extinction, and then it asked the reader to do so. Checking here what people can come up with

The real cause for extinctione of dinosaurs was a more gradual shift in climate and changing sea levels...
This is generally agreed upon by geologists and palaeontologists. There was also a shorter period of poisonous gases, dust clouds, acid rain and a runaway greenhouse effect. The ongoing debate is on what caused the climate change.

The reason is the global iridium layer at the K-T boundry. Before that was identified, there was little evidence to point to a mass extinction event at all, and researchers believed that the dinos went extinct gradually.

Top Bottom