What is a Symbian phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaX

Broken In
Yes, what exactly is a Symbian phone?
I am debating on whether to buy the Nokia 6600 or the SE K700i.

I did a lot of searches, and came upo this word, Symbian..

Can someone please explain?

Thanks.
JaX

eminemence

Journeyman
A Symbian phone is a phone with Symbian Os running on it. :wink:
Symbian is an Os optimised for telephony functions.
This allows users to develop applications in c++ and Java to run on the phone.
If you ask me , everybody should have a Symbian phone as it is extensible in the sense that n number of c++ or java programs can be installed.
Usually phones have propietary OS which cannot be programmed for.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
--eminemence.

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Ya.. I do agree Symbians phones are good.. But at the same time, they'te most vulnerable and most prone to virus attacks and other malicious code..

eminemence

Journeyman
And how many cases have you personally come across.
Most of the viruses have come from Cracked applications
and need the user to install them and then only they run.
There has been no single case of automated virus invocation.
Pls don't spread misinformation. :x
Bye.
--eminemence.

sr_ultimate

Journeyman
And you are saying one should not install application ?

The Virus may attack you ..No matter what u do !

And cracked application .... Lemme remind u of the country named INDIA ! :)

Hey I too have a symbian phone ...go for it .. if virus attacks ...there will be a way ! :)

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
eminemence said:
And how many cases have you personally come across.
Most of the viruses have come from Cracked applications
and need the user to install them and then only they run.
There has been no single case of automated virus invocation.
Pls don't spread misinformation. :x
Bye.
--eminemence.

Am i spreading false info? huh!.. Man.. If you dont wanna install software on Symbian phone, then u better neednt buy Symbian.. you can go for series 40 or some other phone..

According to your stmt, it seems, "buy a SYmbian mobile.. Switch off Bluetooth etc.. Dont instal apps.." huh :shock:

Personally I have come across this Once.. But once is sufficient.. I mean one of my friends having a 6600 got a virus thru Bluetooth.. He says he didnt install anything, but he just opened the message.. Doomed..

And, Most of the Symbian phones are costly.. and I can definitely tell that a 6600 is more prone to damage thru virus than a K500i.. BTW.. I have a 3660..

What Im trying to say is, unless you know to keep your phone safe, dont go for Symbian..

OP
J

JaX

Broken In
Thanks for the replies..

But I'm still not sure which phone to buy..
The Sony Ericsson K700i sounds really nice, what with the small size, large screen etc, but it's not Symbian..

What effective difference will I see between both these phones? What will I be able to do in N6600 that can't be done in SEK700i?

Thanks.
JaX

Scorpion

Journeyman
Well,

I am a proud owner of K700i.

Well, symbian phones provide more customisation than ordianry ones and have more apps. than the other ones but....
They are less stable and have all the problems a PC has- crashes , errors, slowing down after some time.
If you have used a symbian phone earlier, K700i is not your choice.
but if you didn't use a symbian phone earlier, keep away and settle for a k700i. Its a good phone and won't disappoint you.
Any other doubts are welcome, but if you are well versed with a symbian phone , a first look at K700i shall be a disappointing one, though soon you will learn its advantage.
K700i is my bet.

OP
J

JaX

Broken In
Thanks again..

At this point of time, I seem to be more inclined to buying the N6600..

Two factors which support this are firstly,
that more people have Nokia than Sony Ericsson, and hence I have a better chance of finding software, themes, etc for it..
The second one is that I haven't used any other phone than Nokia before, and I would feel more comfortable using one..

I am also of the opinion that Nokia is the most popular mobile phone manufacturer, for a reason, and that is they concentrate on all aspects a phone should have, equally..
I don't know about SE, but Samsung concentrates on one or two featuers in each of its phones.. Like, some of them have flash cam, some have large collection of polyphonic tones, etc.. They never seem to bring it all together into a single phone..

anispace

dattebayo
well 6600 is a good phone
but nokia colour screens are no match for se or samsung

also how come u both have same avatars

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
JaX said:
Thanks again..

At this point of time, I seem to be more inclined to buying the N6600..

Two factors which support this are firstly,
that more people have Nokia than Sony Ericsson, and hence I have a better chance of finding software, themes, etc for it..
The second one is that I haven't used any other phone than Nokia before, and I would feel more comfortable using one..

I am also of the opinion that Nokia is the most popular mobile phone manufacturer, for a reason, and that is they concentrate on all aspects a phone should have, equally..
I don't know about SE, but Samsung concentrates on one or two featuers in each of its phones.. Like, some of them have flash cam, some have large collection of polyphonic tones, etc.. They never seem to bring it all together into a single phone..

Dude.. If u r zeroin in on a Nokia piece here's my advice.. Yes 6600 is a Very good piece.. But just also check phones like 6820/6620/6220/6230 which have EDGE..

EDGE hasnt come evrywhere, so rite now at some placed EDGE browsing at upto 200 Kbps is available at relatively cheap rates..

If you dont mind spending few Ks more.. 6620 should be a good choice.. Else setle for 6600..

anispace said:
well 6600 is a good phone
but nokia colour screens are no match for se or samsung

also how come u both have same avatars

Aaaahhhhhh duuuude..............6600 is an old phone now.
Try ur hands on da Nokia 6630! Its sexy! Seen that hutch ad? 8)
Its got a 1.3 megapixel cam wid a 7x digital zoom!!!!! :p

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
futuristically_ancient said:
Try ur hands on da Nokia 6630! Its sexy! Seen that hutch ad? 8)
Its got a 1.3 megapixel cam wid a 7x digital zoom!!!!! :p
also we can use the mob without SIM card...

6600 costs only 15k and 6630/6670 costs around 24k or so...

eminemence said:
tell us more what makes k700i standout.
i can tell SE dont stand out...

1.SE phones do not come with 2 yr warranty and 1yr insurance
2.SE phones do not get as much money as nokia do , when u want to resell it.
3.SE phones has a lot of software problems and signal reception problems.
and besides
4.nokia allows changeble covers
5. nokia has beter service centres (nokia care)
6. Se has compactible problems.

OP
J

JaX

Broken In
I think I'll be getting a N6600 after all..

I would have got something better if my budget had allowed it.. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom