What cud this problem be due to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmevivek

Right off the assembly line
Yest i left my computer in the logon screen for 1 hr when i came back there was constant hard disk read... i tried working in the sys but the sys was slower than usual and sound was cracking.... there was a lot of hard disk read than usual... checked for spyware n virus.. the system is clean...

some 2 months ago when i had the same problem.. i just exchanged the IDE port in the mobo for HDD and DVD writer and the problem was solved... so tried the same now but the system was even more slower when it was restarted... so restarted again but the OS wudnt boot... said some file is corrupt... after that it did not start at all... it said that boot records wasnt found and wud stop.... tried exchanging the IDE cable but no use...

I suspect its the problem with the IDE port in the mobo... how do i trouble shoot this problem? any ideas? anyone faced similar probs like this? my sys config is

AMD Athlon 2600+
MSI KT4AV mobo
MSI GF4 Ti4400
512 MB Hynix
Seagate 200GB HDD
Philips PBDV1640P DVD writer.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
try configuring the DVD drive into slave mode, and put the HD
on each of the port and try

looks the MBR has got curropted

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
itsmevivek, The incessant HDD activity doesnt seem to be related in any way with the IDE port but seems to be the indexing service in Win XP @ work. Try disabling it. But keep in mind that ur file searches will take more time with indexing disabled.

And to repair the corrupt MBR,
Use the Recovery Console- You can use the fixmbr command in Recovery Console to repair the MBR. You can start Recovery Console by booting from the Windows XP CD.

Do let me know if u are successful :) !!!

( I've made an assumption that u r usin Win XP :shock: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom