What are your views around Smart Watches?

How much do you prefer smart watches?

• Love them and own them

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Love them but can't afford them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Prefer mechanical watches

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • HATE SMART WATCHES, WISH TO SEE THEM EXTINCT!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Read an article in the latest edition of digit (Oct 2018) penned under Boo-Man where the author expressed his views around the hype of smart watches. The author wasn't very keen on the idea of smartwatches and was highly in favor of mechanical watches.

Personally for a lot of time I wished to own a smartwatch but resisted cause they were too costly. I kinda seems to agree with the sentiments of the author here and now don't really see the point of smart watches anymore.

Article is a great read. I have attached it here for those who don't own the magazine (I am not sure if that's ok with the digit staff though).

20181011_113911.jpg

Edit: Saw that it was 'he' who wrote the article. So edited my post accordingly.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think its kinda gimmicky, just like Amazon Echo and similar virtual assistants. But IDK, perhaps it could have potential. As of now I am pretty neutral over them.

ezio16

Journeyman
@Vyom I kind of have a craze over watches that are mechanical and bought a Fossil chronograph recently. I feel like that smartwatches just can't satisfy me over a good mechanical watch in hand.
I have been trying to get a Seiko, but can't find good deals yet.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think its kinda gimmicky, just like Amazon Echo and similar virtual assistants. But IDK, perhaps it could have potential. As of now I am pretty neutral over them.
Not gimmicky, but maybe they have limitations? Like needing to charge daily and lack of visibility in sunlight due to LCD screen? Don't you think they can be improved over time as technology progresses?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom I kind of have a craze over watches that are mechanical and bought a Fossil chronograph recently. I feel like that smartwatches just can't satisfy me over a good mechanical watch in hand.
I have been trying to get a Seiko, but can't find good deals yet.

But a mechanical watch, no matter how expensive it is, "just tells time". :p
I think a mechanical watch is great when you need to headache time telling piece. But a good and sufficiently smart smartwatch can be good in it's own right. To make you more productive etc.
But the author of the article raises an important point in relation to them being used for fitness tracker purpose. I didn't know there are fitness trackers that requires you to wear two different bands in both wrists for accurate measurements. For such accuracy a smartwatch just won't cut it. Would it?

So we have someone which have radical views on this topic?

ezio16

Journeyman
But a mechanical watch, no matter how expensive it is, "just tells time". :p

True but my craze doesn't feel that way :chinscratch:

But the author of the article raises an important point in relation to them being used for fitness tracker purpose. I didn't know there are fitness trackers that requires you to wear two different bands in both wrists for accurate measurements. For such accuracy a smartwatch just won't cut it. Would it?
Have used basic fitness trackers like mi bands. But those kind of trackers cost so much less than smart watches if it's needed for tracking and pretty much does a better job at it than a smart watch I hope.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Not gimmicky, but maybe they have limitations? Like needing to charge daily and lack of visibility in sunlight due to LCD screen? Don't you think they can be improved over time as technology progresses?
That is why I am neutral. I don't think they are good yet but I still want to wait and watch (pun not intended).

Top Bottom