What after IT engineering ?

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
Hello,
This post mite go really long as i want to be as informative as i can so that you frndz can help me out better. Thanks in Advance

About my IT interest :
having deep interest in technology since childhood. Always curious to know how the technology works and likes keeps myself updated with latest tech gadgets and news.
Living in a small town here , not in a competitive environment.. though i dont stand first in my class Result wise , i bet i can chew my fellow mates when it comes to performing (Practical knowledge )
After my 12th , i had no interest in Engg. i had undefinable love for IT .. I compared BSc , BCA , BE and ended up with BE. I would like to clear that had it not been IT Engg , i would not be here in Engg

Current Status:
I am currently running a successful web design company of my own with a bunch of freelancers under me. we are doing a phenomenal job and i cant ask for better

The syllabus has covered C , C++ till now and my basics are very clear.I will make it a point to keep basics of all my future languages clear too. ( It is really difficult to master them all in the 3 year phase )

To enhance my resume , i regularly participate in college events like coding , designing and stuff. I have won a few of them too

Academic Profile
I am currently doing BE IT from a college affiliated with Pune University.
I have just finished my 4th sem and awaiting results.

Sem 1 ( Common Engg. > NO IT SUBJECTS >> NO Interest ) = 2 backlogs of 5 attempted
Sem 1 ( Common Engg. > NO IT SUBJECTS >> NO Interest ) = 3 backlogs of 5+2 attempted

Sem 3: ( Here i come ) = All Clear of 5+3 Attempted

Sem 4: Awaiting results.. Maths 3 might be back .. again Non IT subject

First Year total : 56% ( after i cleared all )
sem 3: 59%

I just mentioned all this to give u a rough idea of wats going on with me coz some companies have backlog policy , so i might not be allowed even though i have d potential / eagerness & grasping power

My question

I have now entered Third year and would like to start planning for my future.

Frankly speaking , i dont think comapnies like google , ebay , fb , etc etc will pick me as a fresher after BE.
If i try to settle with a job after my BE , i am well aware i wont be getting more than 20-25K per month for the start and then have to go my way up.. bt there is no guarantee that i will reach my dream companies where i have status and filled pockets one day , So.. Higher Education is the choice and i m ready for it.

1. ME / Mtech in India via GATE Exam
2. MS in foreign via GRE , TOFEL
3. MBA

The Gate is tough from technical aspect and there is no provision for coaching and stuff in my city. Here we get a book of G.K publications which has some MCQ ( around 200 per topic ) and the students go for d exam and no one cracks a 70%+ percentile and hence non eligibility.

Self learning will be a little tough considering d strict attendance rule of my College + my company role as well

It is conducted once a year and we can re appear , but i really wanna give a thought that whether it is worth it ? even if i crack the GATE somehow a sudden shift in IIT competitive environment , will i be able to manage and stuff. I believe in doing the best in whatever i do

----
TOEFL is english based.. no prob
GRE is like all those aptitude test. i give a lot of them at college fest and even end up with good scores. but my academic record is not that great ( i think so ) that i will get scholarships.. and its meaningless for me to think abroad without scholarship ( atleast a partial )

This can be re-appeared number of times but around 6500rs per attempt.. so i dont think any1 will think of re-attempt again and again

-------
MBA.. i have nt though of much upon this as i am of the belief that when i m paying so much in engg , taking so much pains , y shud i end up doing MBA ? MBA is gr88 , no doubt but i could have become a MBA by 12 + 3yrs Bcom and then MBA.. though people say after engg MBA is good as u have technical and management side as well , but cmmon u dont say i passed 12th and i m 10th passed too :p ,

So i would like ur help in suggesting me some ideas u feel will be right for me

Strengths:
I Dont Mind long work hours
Would love to learn new things
Good grasping power
Solid Troubleshooting Skills
Good Communication Skills

Weakness:
I hate Calculus
Subjects like computer architecture , microprocessor , IC`s are not my types for sure. i dont mind the basics but they r not for me

Ready for all the PAINS if they guarantee a GAIN !! :wink:

Regards

tkin

Back to school!!
Well, first of all, GATE is extremely competitive, I am not sure about IT but CSE syllabus has dollops of maths in it, so it'll be tough for you.

Now if you want to go to foreign colleges then if you want scholarship you need to have good marks in 10th, 10+2th standard as well as engg.

I'd say GATE requires and very hard studying, so if you are confident, start your own business(or increase the one that you are doing right now), do freelancing, you need to be very good with java, c, .net is an added option, also need to know about dbms(sql++, mysql server), also do some j2ee projects after this, learn to design webpages(html, css etc).

OP
techking_dinesh

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
@tkin thanks for quick reply

my 10th marks r 85%
12th is 74%
Engg is going on with ups and down

What has best scope ?
MS , Mtech or MBA ?

How about pursuing MBA abroad ?

i m learning languages at my pae and i m already a professional web designer as i stated.. i know making web pages

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin thanks for quick reply

my 10th marks r 85%
12th is 74%
Engg is going on with ups and down

What has best scope ?
MS , Mtech or MBA ?

How about pursuing MBA abroad ?

i m learning languages at my pae and i m already a professional web designer as i stated.. i know making web pages
I'd say MBA from a good college has best scope in terms of job availability, Mtech from a good college will entitle you to go to teaching profession, easy money, MS is another story, I have no idea about its scope, too many rumors about studying abroad.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
MBA is the way for easily getting high pay. MS will do that too, but will be more difficult compared to MBA.

As for M.Tech - unless you are going for serious research, or want to teach, just don't do it. Work the two years.

abhijangda

Padawan
If you want to make money, then do MBA. But if you are thinking of going to technical side I mean doing M. Tech., it will not be a good option for you. Because M. Tech. (in any branch) requires Basic Knowledge of Math, Physics and Chemistry. Although you will be doing in IT. So, only Math will be of your importance. After M. Tech. you have to do PhD, to go in research and teaching. Doing a job in company after M. Tech., is not a good option. Also, in teaching you marks matter, as you have got backlog, so I don't think it will be good for you.
Don't know about MS.
I would say go for MBA, because after doing MBA, it doesn't matter from where you did your B. Tech. or you have any backlog, an IITian and the one who was in a private college are same, if they have done MBA from the same college.
Or otherwise, you can just do your business. Also, learn programming languages like Java, JavaScript, Python etc.

OP
techking_dinesh

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
^ But i can get a MBA even after Mtech or MS but the reverse cant be done..

Yes i am a programming enthusiast .. i m learning constantly to enhance me.. i dnt mind going d technical side.. as far as it is IT ( but i cant tolerate subjects like micro processor )

and ofcourse money / salary matters !! ;)

devgujar

Broken In
Yeeeah...
Same condition here....Second class B.E. ( 59 %)...
Hate Calculus and non IT subjects...Lots of Backlogs...

Done C-DAC from Sunbean Pune....Now working as Quality Enggr with one of MNC..
Planning for partially FullTime MBA from Symbiosis OR EABS in IT & Operations.

Top Bottom