western digital hdd not working

atul.koundal

Right off the assembly line
I accidently dropped my hdd and after that i inserted into my pc, the removable disk icon appears but when i open my computer icon, i can not see it. Hdd still lights up when i inset into my pc. How would i know that its gone or still i can use it ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
check if it appears in disk management. if it does (unlikely) then delete the partition and recreate it.

Lincon_WD

WD Official
Hi atul.koundal,
I hope you are doing well. Based on your post you may try the following basic troubleshooting steps.
1) Have you tried to connect the using different port available on your PC? You may try to connect the drive through another port if you have not tried.
2) Try to connect using another USB cable, sometimes the cable might be failing or not supplying enough power to the drive.
3) You may try to connect the hard drive to another system to check the hard drive is working or not?
4) Are you able to use other external drives without any issues?
Try to check in device manager with the following steps.
From the start menu right click on the Computer and choose Manage.This will bring up the Computer Management Window. Now you can see Device manager on the left hand side under the heading System Tools.
In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", Check if at all there is an exclamation mark along, the driver, it suggests issues with the driver installed. Right click on the "Uninstall" and click "OK". Then try to reconnect the drive it should show up.
If it doesn't appear in Device Manager then you could try checking in Disk Management. Check if it appears there, sometimes it may turn up as Disk 1 or Disk 2, and the status. You could try to initialize and format it from here.
How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX .

To make sure if there is any damage on the hard drive you may run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics from WD. Below is the link with guidelines.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

I hope it will help you.

OP
A

atul.koundal

Right off the assembly line
Thanks lincon_wd and others also for help. i tried changing the port, and to my surprise it started working. Thank u very much, otherwise i was very much sure that my hdd is gone" R u people from western digital like customer care executives??

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
^ happened with me once and i too panicked as the 2tb drive had some 1tb data on it :D changed usb port and it started working.
yes, that looks like a WD representative and its a good detailed reply helpful for many

Top Bottom