Youngling
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I built up my new system (finally) with following config:

1) Intel i5 6600 (not K)
2) Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3
3) Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4
4) Corsair VS 450
5) WD Blue 2 TB Hard Drive

all enclosed in Corsair SPEC Alpha chassis with my old Zotac Geforce 660 GT. (I'll be getting Geforce 1060 in sometime).
The problem is: I installed fresh Windows 10 and loaded required system drivers (chipset, audio, LAN etc.) Everything worked fine until i installed the latest nvidia driver (v 376.33).

After the driver installation, the driver kernal started "crashed and reccoverd" problem after every 20-30 seconds, and windows got completely crashed and rebooted automatically when i tried to open Microsoft Edge explorer. After reboot, the system is just not usable at all (crashing within seconds). Then I restored system just before the nvidia driver installation and it got fine. I tried installing windows 10 multiple times, also unplugged and plugged the graphics card, just to be sure.

I am not sure what the problem is. I tried multiple driver versions (356.11, 361.something) but ended with same problem. Tried Intel VGA's display and that is also working fine. Its just that nvidia drivers are failing miserably (also tried installing only the driver, excluding geforce experience, 3D VR drivers etc.).

Has anybody faced this issue before? I can see a lot of people have mentioned about it on various forums but couldnt find any solution till now. Maybe its the windows 10? I'll try windows 8.1 in evening to check it.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
In Windows 10, nvidia drivers gets installed automatically and you need to uninstall that driver and install the latest one.

You need to download the latest nvidia driver before hand and log out of any internet access and install.

Try this & reply.

Did you check in the bios whether the default GPU is set to discrete GPU or iGPU.

Some settings in the bios needs to be changed so that discrete GPU can be run at optimal settings.

Normally MSI, Gigabyte & Asus motherboards has such settings in their respective bios.

Check this also once & reply.

PS: When you install the nvidia drivers, it detects the GPU and starts installing without any interruption.

If it asks for any consent by you or if it does not continue properly then there is some problem with driver installation.

The last driver thats get installed in nvidia GeForce driver is PhysX driver.

Check everything and reply.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Also, when you do upgrade to GTX 1060, do a clean installation of drivers and dump that VS450. You won't want to fry your system, right?

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hi bssunilreddy,

Thank you for your quick response!
Yes i checked all BIOS settings and also tried disabling the iGPU, but the result was same. I installed the nvidia driver (which i downloaded the latest one from nvidia website) soon after windows installation got over, so i dont think the windows got the time to kick it itself via auto updates.
I have found some responses in other forums saying that old drivers got their issue fixed (like 314.22 or 320.49 BETA). I'll be trying this as well, once I go back home in evening :(

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hi All,

So i installed Windows 8.1 now and everything's working fine :) Will try to upgrade to 10 from 8.1 and check if i face any more issues.

Also, when you do upgrade to GTX 1060, do a clean installation of drivers and dump that VS450. You won't want to fry your system, right?

I dont think that would be required. A good quality 450w is more than enough to handle even 1080 GTX with this config. I am not going to overclock anything or use multiple cards ever.

Thanks!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hi All,

So i installed Windows 8.1 now and everything's working fine :) Will try to upgrade to 10 from 8.1 and check if i face any more issues.

I dont think that would be required. A good quality 450w is more than enough to handle even 1080 GTX with this config. I am not going to overclock anything or use multiple cards ever.

Thanks!

So it was OS issues? :confused:

Didn't think Win10 would cause a driver crash.

You think VS450 is a good PSU! :facepalm:

VS450 is meant for low end systems running without a dedicated GPU. Switch to a seasonic s12II 520W, antec vp550p or evga 500b instead.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
So it was OS issues? :confused:

Didn't think Win10 would cause a driver crash.

You think VS450 is a good PSU! :facepalm:

VS450 is meant for low end systems running without a dedicated GPU. Switch to a seasonic s12II 520W, antec vp550p or evga 500b instead.

Check this thread once: PSU ranking and tiers - Cases and Power Supplies - Linus Tech Tip

This thread also: PSU tier list 2.0 - Components - Tom's Hardwar
Yes Corsair VS Series is meant for cheap asian markets like China, India etc

VS Series has low quality primary & secondary capacitors made by not so well known chinese companies.

Such PSUs draw more power there by reducing the life of the capacitors and short circuiting or damage to motherboards, GPUs and HDDs.

Motherboards whose 24pin & 8pin power connectors provide fluctuating voltage thereby causing damage to GPUs and HDDs develop bad sectors due to such bad PSUs.

Try to connect a GTX1080 to VS450 and then use a Killawatt which measures the voltage drawn from the mains or the from the PSU itself and see for yourself.

Dont say blindly that VS Series is efficient.

Best PSU is Seasonic S12II 520w @ 5.5k
Cheapest good PSU is Antec VP550P @ 3.5k
Even cheaper average PSU is Corsair CX430w @ 3k

Its in your best interest that we suggest. Its upto you whether you heed it or not.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]

I see, I didnt know that VS series comes under low end. However, I dont think its going to damage the system by any means. I do not game more than 2-3 hrs a day, and all readings are always quite under control, even when I now have GTX1060 + one ssd + hard drive + 3 fans + lighting.

Thank you guys!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Though Corsair VS450 is not the PSU we expect from Corsair, but will handle GTX 1060 + i5-6600 fine.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Though Corsair VS450 is not the PSU we expect from Corsair, but will handle GTX 1060 + i5-6600 fine.
Never compromise on lower quality PSUs like Corsair VS Series.
It's better to get Antec VP450P.

Why VS Series is priced lower than others itself will show it's inferior quality.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I have been using it for two months, gaming heavily, and it didn't give me any problem at all. It runs smooth, no noise or signs of overheat. I think I should also mention that my system is currently having a SSD (SATA, not m.2) coupled with HDD, a total of 5 - 120mm cabinet fans.

I know everyone here would advise me to get atleast *costlier* 500w psu, if not 550 or 600w. But if I check the power usage of my current system, its not more than 271w, with recommended PSU wattage being 321w (outervision calculator results: Intel Core i5-6600 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - OuterVision PSU Calculato ). Now, Corsair claims that VS450 is 80+ (atleast 80% of claimed wattage output at any time) and I would simply believe on their claim because of their brand name and status in the market (link to product site: VS Series™ VS450 — 450 Watt Power Supply). 80% of 450 is 360w, which is well above than my system needs.

Now comes the build quality point: surely there are PSU's with much better quality hardware, multiple circuitry for fail safe in any condition etc. etc. But does it really required (in all cases)? You can always get anything better if you pay more, doesnt mean you always have to do it. This is exactly where "value for money" comes into the picture. Also these days many of us have inverters, backup supply from society etc. for fail safe. These forums, telling best to crappy PSU's, might be right but I would really like to see a practical example wherein PSU like VS series failed to perform when coupled with single gpu non overclocked system.

Thanks!

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I have been using it for two months, gaming heavily, and it didn't give me any problem at all. It runs smooth, no noise or signs of overheat. I think I should also mention that my system is currently having a SSD (SATA, not m.2) coupled with HDD, a total of 5 - 120mm cabinet fans.

I know everyone here would advise me to get atleast *costlier* 500w psu, if not 550 or 600w. But if I check the power usage of my current system, its not more than 271w, with recommended PSU wattage being 321w (outervision calculator results: Intel Core i5-6600 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - OuterVision PSU Calculato ). Now, Corsair claims that VS450 is 80+ (atleast 80% of claimed wattage output at any time) and I would simply believe on their claim because of their brand name and status in the market (link to product site: VS Series™ VS450 — 450 Watt Power Supply). 80% of 450 is 360w, which is well above than my system needs.

Now comes the build quality point: surely there are PSU's with much better quality hardware, multiple circuitry for fail safe in any condition etc. etc. But does it really required (in all cases)? You can always get anything better if you pay more, doesnt mean you always have to do it. This is exactly where "value for money" comes into the picture. Also these days many of us have inverters, backup supply from society etc. for fail safe. These forums, telling best to crappy PSU's, might be right but I would really like to see a practical example wherein PSU like VS series failed to perform when coupled with single gpu non overclocked system.

Thanks!

"Damage Over Time"
The PSU will work and you will think it is running absolutely fine. But over time it will degrade and won't maintain proper voltage regulation(and other stuff).
For example at start, PSU will provide +12.00V to GPU
After 3 months, 11.8V
After 6 months, 11.6V
After 9 months, 11.4V
After 12 months, 11.2V <--- this is out of ATX spec.
The PSU and the PC may still be running fine but your GPU(which cost lot more than the PSU) is going to get damaged because of it.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=311809]chimera201[/MENTION] I see. Maybe a possibility, but would love to see it backed up with evidence.

Thanks!

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
@chimera201 I see. Maybe a possibility, but would love to see it backed up with evidence.

Thanks!

Defining Power Supply Voltage Ripple &amp; Its Real-World Impact | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds &amp; Hardware Benchmark
Why does a better power supply mean a better computing experience?

For evidence just google "did psu kill gpu"

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thanks!
yea, don't worry Corsair VS450 is fine. Not the best you could get, but since you already have it your system will run fine.

GTX 1060 and i5-6600 are power efficient.

Your PSU can still deliver 450 watt of power to the computer, but the PSU will take in 562.5 watt of power from the socket.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION] lol, i wasnt aware about that (562.5 to 450) In that case, its even better. No problem if I have to pay for some extra electrical units :p
[MENTION=311809]chimera201[/MENTION] I am not denying the theory of better PSU's. They are obviously better and safer to use. I just wanted to know some practical scenarios in which VS quality PSU actually failed to deliver a non overclocked single gpu-ed system. Anyways, thank you for sharing the links and your time :)

Top Bottom