web space n domain name query....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
i want to start a site but am confused about some of the things..
after surfing here n der i hav found that registerin domain name is diff thing n getting web space is diff thing...
now suppose i want to build a site www.mysite.com ..
then i will have to buy domain name n webspace separately naa?
and also if i register my dns and get a websapce sumwhr, how is my domain name goin to know which ip to get files from?? i mean how r domain name n web space joined?
and der r options like linux n windows space? i have worked mainly on windows, if i chose linux coz its generally cheaper n available, how will i be able to use it??
lots of queries,eehhh ??.... though i searched here n der on net but coudnt find ansers...
plz help people....

red_devil

Back!
web space [hosting] and domain names are different. Yes.

But it does not mean that you have to buy them from different people. Most people who provide hosting will generally also register domains. Sukhdeep and Ravi of this forum have such a service running. [check the bazaar section for their offers/plans]

and also if i register my dns and get a websapce sumwhr, how is my domain name goin to know which ip to get files from?? i mean how r domain name n web space joined?

that is taken care of by nameservers. in your domain control panel you'll have to point your name servers to the ones specified by your host.
though it may sound complicated, its only a matter of adding 2 entries ;)

and der r options like linux n windows space? i have worked mainly on windows, if i chose linux coz its generally cheaper n available, how will i be able to use it??

Hmm you don't have to worry about how to use LINUX hosting. All the hosting plans come with this thing called a Control Panel and in that it is mainly click - enter kind of UI so you'll have absolutely no problem getting around on that.
{this was from my experience on LINUX hosting. I don't have any idea about how a Windows one behaves.. ]

satyamy

Alive Again...
Its Simple....
For Starting a Website You need a Website Name Called as Domain Name + Some Space in Web Server where you can upload all your files Called as Hosting Space

You dont need to look for Windows/Linux issue until unless you are making some database driven site

take a look at this
*www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/startwebsite.shtml

for start just go with some linux hosting server

their are many user in thinkdigit forum who can provide you good solution for webhost with affordable price
eg:
host4cheap.org -Sukhdeep

OP
tweety_bird_bunny

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
suppose i just register a domain sumwhr..... n get a webspace later from sumwhr else..
then how will i tell my domain name to connect to my webspace to pick up n show files... i mean whr will i set my settings so dat my domain name can use my web space???

foruamit2004

Broken In
Step 1 - buy a domain name ( ie. www.mysite.com) .. for trial you can get a free domain name from this site - *www.co.cc/ , but only ***.co.cc names can be acquired for free.

Step 2 - Search for a good web Hosting site (ie. for free hosting website you can use X10hosting.com and others ), once you have registered, they 'll give you the hosting IP address. while registering you 'll automatically get the idea, where and what to fill. Now if you go to the file manager from your account, you 'll see a folder created(most of the time) with your domain name that you have given while registering. Now you can put the Index.html or other pages in that folder.

step 3 - Now as I said once you have registered in hosting site, you get the IP address, Now once again you need to go to co.cc acount ( or from where ever you have got the domain) their you need to give the ip address in the field "name server".

So you see that process will be like this -

Once somebody clicks your sites link (domain name that you have bought), it gets the hosting address info from the nameserver, since you have given the IP address of the hosting site in the nameserver, it automatically gets the pages from that hosting sites.

Since you can build your own website for free, so better way is to try it by yourself, if you have any problem then you can post it here. :) , first time when i tried, i got to see my first webpage in 2 hours. ( though i'm not interested in these things, just wanted to see how it works )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom