Want to connect to Internet as soon as system boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, tell me how do I connect to internet as soon as my system boots?

I use Airtel ADSL modem i.e. I need to dial to connect to Internet.

I want to start auto d/l as soon as electricity comes.
I've managed to start the system as the electricity comes and added uTorrent at system startup but could not do this.

Any help would be very helpful.
Regards.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I created a new connection from "Network Connections"
Then placed the Icon at my desktop.
I need to double click on this icon whenever I want to connect to Internet for the first time after PC boots.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Just copy that icon to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. Change the drive letter if necessary.

That way, it'll be executed at system startup each time.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Umm.. Why don't you just set up your connection in PPPoE mode? You seem to be using it in bridge mode.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use the modem's built-in PPPoE dialer. And also enable DHCP from the modem's settings page.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Umm.. Why don't you just set up your connection in PPPoE mode? You seem to be using it in bridge mode.

IN my modem settings page both the options are present.
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/38405_w7eci/Modem_1.JPG

Use the modem's built-in PPPoE dialer. And also enable DHCP from the modem's settings page.
How, where?
Checked, DHCP is enabled thats why its taking dynamic ips when dialed.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Done! In the properties of dat dial "icon" was an option "add in windows log on domain".
Checked it. *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/14.png

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Done! In the properties of dat dial "icon" was an option "add in windows log on domain".
Checked it. *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/14.png

hdsk.23

~ Harshdeep ~
very simple method..
go to notepad.. then type there
rasdial [ur connection name] [username] [password]
eg. rasdial Dataone myuser 123
(dataone is connection name myuser is my username and 123 is password)
save that file with dial.bat, and put it in the startup folder. That it. it will get executed whenever ur pc gets started.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you've solved your problem, but I'll still be explaining how to change to modem's built-in PPPoE dialer. :)
How, where?
Checked, DHCP is enabled thats why its taking dynamic ips when dialed.
If you want to use the modem's built-in PPPoE dialer, click on Edit button in your screenshot on the first option (which has VPI/VCI as 1/32 - Airtel) and then proceed. (If you've BSNL, the VPI/VCI is 0/35.)

Select connection type as PPPoE & Encapsulation Mode as LCC/Snap, click next give your Username/Password and save.

Then Enable DHCP from the LAN option in your router's page......

The DHCP about which I'm talking is for giving your computer a LAN IP address automatically.
*img5.imageshack.us/img5/9752/screenshottdi.th.jpg
Currently as you're using the computer's dialer or bridged mode, I think you may have configured your computer's LAN IP as 192.168.1.2, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 and Default Gatweay as 192.168.1.1 in the network settings.

But when you use your modem's PPPoE dialer, I think you've to change everything in the Network settings as 'Automatically' (except DNS servers), thats why you need to enable DHCP for LAN from your modem's page, so that the modem assigns both LAN & WAN IP address to your computer.

But using Bridged mode is always better than using modem's PPPoE dialer as all ports are automatically forwarded.

Last edited:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
the major issue was to start the pc when the electricty comes back, how you do that? that was diff i think this is easy.

if you use dial-up shortcut for broadband..thats good..keep it that wasy.
it has its own benefits man.. no need to change to different method of pppoe. like downloading from rapidshare etc,

you just have to copy shortcut to that dial-up icon to Start>program>startup> thats it it will do.. bcoz i have done it earlier.

and if you cant do that.. then listen to this guy.. this is another alternative.. you cant beat this.
very simple method..
go to notepad.. then type there
rasdial [ur connection name] [username] [password]
eg. rasdial Dataone myuser 123
(dataone is connection name myuser is my username and 123 is password)
save that file with dial.bat, and put it in the startup folder. That it. it will get executed whenever ur pc gets started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom