Want to buy Laptop under 70K budget | Performance matters.

praneetsah

Broken In
Budget: Till 70K, its not strict And can be adjusted.
Sreen Size: Preferred 15 inch and above.
Primary task: Hardcore multitasking and should be able to run heavy apps. Won't be using it for typical gaming. Photo/video editting and coding would be done alot.
Typcal config: i7 processor, >750gb space, Keyboard backlit, LED 1080p.

I have looked at y510p but as i have read reviews that its keyboard is not good moreover its more for gaming, therefore i wont be buying y510p. Any other laptop would be welcomed. Brand doesn't matters. Would be buyig locally and within the next 2-3 days.
BTW is HP j001tx worth buying? and what would its be street price? Thanks.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Primary task: Hardcore multitasking and should be able to run heavy apps. Won't be using it for typical gaming. Photo/video editting and coding would be done alot.

I have looked at y510p but as i have read reviews that its keyboard is not good moreover its more for gaming, therefore i wont be buying y510p. Any other laptop would be welcomed. Brand doesn't matters. Would be buyig locally and within the next 2-3 days.

Y510p has the best keyboard all round. It's backlighting seems awesome.

Agreed.......... There might be only some minor issues with touch pad, maybe ...... But no issues with keyboard, you can't get a better keyboard for the price........

@OP: What do you mean by performance laptops ??

Performance means both CPU+GPU. If you just need CPU power, get Z510 (i7 version), same specs as HP one, but is 12-15k cheaper + has DVD drive, but a bit heavy, though

Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs HP Envy 15-j111TX Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1 TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) vs Dell Inspiron 15 7537 Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph/ Touch) vs Lenovo IdeaPa

As you can notice from the comparison, Y510p also has Full HD display, only one in that price point

HP one with Full HD costs 78k

OP
P

praneetsah

Broken In

...But i have read that the keyboard is hard to get used to moreover the layout is typical...In fact i read this on digit's article itself.

- - - Updated - - -

@OP: What do you mean by performance laptops ??

Performance means both CPU+GPU. If you just need CPU power, get Z510 (i7 version), same specs as HP one, but is 12-15k cheaper + has DVD drive, but a bit heavy, though

Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs HP Envy 15-j111TX Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1 TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) vs Dell Inspiron 15 7537 Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph/ Touch) vs Lenovo IdeaPa

As you can notice from the comparison, Y510p also has Full HD display, only one in that price point

HP one with Full HD costs 78k

By performance i mean CPU power. Processing is preffered rather than better GPU. Any recommendation apart from lenovo?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Lenovo Y510p has the 2nd best cpu available in India. The best one being core i7 4800mq in dell alienware. If you need processing power so bad, get a y510p core i5 and get a core i7 4900mq imported and replace the cpu yourself. Don't forget ic diamond thermal paste.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Lenovo Y510p has the 2nd best cpu available in India. The best one being core i7 4800mq in dell alienware. If you need processing power so bad, get a y510p core i5 and get a core i7 4900mq imported and replace the cpu yourself. Don't forget ic diamond thermal paste.

Dude 60k is y510p i5 & $500 import cost gets you nearly to 90k!
Don't know if it's in OP's budget!

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

dont replace cpus like that its risky,unlike desktop cpus
in laptops u have to be very very careful about specific parts etc
instead buy it abroad ull get it way cheaper and an excellent config or buy the i5 version (indian)
i5 laptop cpus are very underrated but since u mentioned performance matters u should definately get a quad core cpu

- - - Updated - - -

fill up the forum questionaire so we can help u better with ur needs

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
instead buy it abroad ull get it way cheaper and an excellent config or buy the i5 version (indian)
i5 laptop cpus are very underrated but since u mentioned performance matters u should definately get a quad core cpu

- - - Updated - - -

It's not at all risky when one is careful. All core i7 MQ laptop CPUs are replaceable and it is pretty easy to do so. The reason being all of them are on the same TDP(47W) with the exception of some low end ones(37W) and 4730XM(57W). All CPUs of the core i7 quad range are supported in the Lenovo Y510p. You can't get a 4800MQ/4900MQ directly from Lenovo, only custom laptop resellers feature it(they actually replace it themselves). core i5 CPUs are not under rated, they provide exactly half the performance of quad cores.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
It's not at all risky when one is careful. All core i7 MQ laptop CPUs are replaceable and it is pretty easy to do so. The reason being all of them are on the same TDP(47W) with the exception of some low end ones(37W) and 4730XM(57W). All CPUs of the core i7 quad range are supported in the Lenovo Y510p. You can't get a 4800MQ/4900MQ directly from Lenovo, only custom laptop resellers feature it(they actually replace it themselves). core i5 CPUs are not under rated, they provide exactly half the performance of quad cores.
not really the i5 is just a dual core hyperthreaded version of i7 performance differences occur when multi core (more than 2 cores) programs are used and they are rare even multi core games are rare
as for half the performance thats not possible at all even benchmarks prove that wrong(except for geekbench,passmark etc which calculate on the basis of cores and clock speed overall so its unfair to say double the performance on the basis of that)

proof-*cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3612QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3210M

btw u misunderstood my point , i meant its risky if u dont get the right cpu as in ull need one from a y510p itself otherwise there can be issues

- - - Updated - - -

...But i have read that the keyboard is hard to get used to moreover the layout is typical...In fact i read this on digit's article itself.

everyones keyboard preferences are different , i suggest u try out the keyboard first in say a showroom or something

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
not really the i5 is just a dual core hyperthreaded version of i7 performance differences occur when multi core (more than 2 cores) programs are used and they are rare even multi core games are rare
as for half the performance thats not possible at all even benchmarks prove that wrong(except for geekbench,passmark etc which calculate on the basis of cores and clock speed overall so its unfair to say double the performance on the basis of that)

proof-*cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3612QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3210M

btw u misunderstood my point , i meant its risky if u dont get the right cpu as in ull need one from a y510p itself otherwise there can be issues

- - - Updated - - -

everyones keyboard preferences are different , i suggest u try out the keyboard first in say a showroom or something

Bullocks to that, all modern games support upto 8 threads.
All core i7 quads 4th gen are supported in y510p.

- - - Updated - - -

Any core i7 quad chip from any laptop will work.

OP
P

praneetsah

Broken In

There's no point for discussing about CPU eeplacement because i wont be doing that...Anways from all the dischssion i feel like y510p is a good choice apart from its kehboard thingy. Anyways i have seen quite a lot variants of it, which one would be good or is any other laptop better than it in terms of processing? And any similar configured laptop in HP and Dell?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Dont have a pc so cant copy paste, but i have picked everything from the questionaire, which u shud have got if u have read it properly. Anyways read my above reply to seamon.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
There's no point for discussing about CPU eeplacement because i wont be doing that...Anways from all the dischssion i feel like y510p is a good choice apart from its kehboard thingy. Anyways i have seen quite a lot variants of it, which one would be good or is any other laptop better than it in terms of processing? And any similar configured laptop in HP and Dell?

- - - Updated - - -

Dont have a pc so cant copy paste, but i have picked everything from the questionaire, which u shud have got if u have read it properly. Anyways read my above reply to seamon.

No other laptop is better than the Y510p in terms of processing. HP laptops are overpriced pieces of sht. There are only 2 variants core i5 one and core i7 one.
Go for the core i7 one. Also in the future(say when Intel Skylake processors are released) if you need more processing power, you can replace the CPU and by then Haswell mobile prices will be a lot cheaper.

Avoid Dell, they use core i7 undervolted CPUs which are very weak.

FYI a good GPU is required for fast photo/video editing.

$hadow

Geek in making
I don't think there is need of any more clarification. Y510p is a certain choice. Hands down.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Bullocks to that, all modern games support upto 8 threads.
All core i7 quads 4th gen are supported in y510p.

- - - Updated - - -

Any core i7 quad chip from any laptop will work.
Lol bro why argue i posted links to prove u wrong its common sense
chill out man dont fight
its a fact even my links prove that

heres another recent link which proves only a few games use more than 4 threads-

*forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=385925

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, get Z510 & save few bucks, you seem to not want a good GPU

Y510p is a great model, I don't know what you hate about its keyboard

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
FYI a good GPU is required for fast photo/video editing.

this i agree to
avoid ULV cpus if u want best performance however keep in mind dell also has M-series cpus (rarer than ULV cpu laptops) but they exist

- - - Updated - - -

As I mentioned earlier, get Z510 & save few bucks, you seem to not want a good GPU

Y510p is a great model, I don't know what you hate about its keyboard

+100000

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

ohh alright sorry just thought incase u could it might help better
btw what exactly are u buying the laptop for? gaming ,software , design , editing etc?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
If op doesn't need a gpu, then z500 is a good option but I think you are underestimating the uses of a good gpu. Cuda cores massively help in even converting videos, they'll be a very big help when photo/video editing as you said you need the laptop for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol bro why argue i posted links to prove u wrong its common sense
chill out man dont fight
its a fact even my links prove that

heres another recent link which proves only a few games use more than 4 threads-

*forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=385925

It clearly says most engines use more thab 4 threads. Btw op is buying for gaming lol. :p

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
If op doesn't need a gpu, then z500 is a good option but I think you are underestimating the uses of a good gpu. Cuda cores massively help in even converting videos, they'll be a very big help when photo/video editing as you said you need the laptop for it.

- - - Updated - - -

It clearly says most engines use more thab 4 threads. Btw op is buying for gaming lol. :p

no read it again it only mentions like 5-6 games which use more than 4 threads +hyperthreading is actually more useful on the i5 than on the i7 since 8 threads are not used in most games yet
the i5 and 7730m are in no way a bottleneck or underpowered
infact its my favourite system as its battery life is the best among my laptops and powerformance is great
i also play on my other laptops (i7 3612qm cpu and other with A4500m) and difference isnt much

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
no read it again it only mentions like 5-6 games which use more than 4 threads +hyperthreading is actually more useful on the i5 than on the i7 since 8 threads are not used in most games yet
the i5 and 7730m are in no way a bottleneck or underpowered
infact its my favourite system as its battery life is the best among my laptops and powerformance is great
i also play on my other laptops (i7 3612qm cpu and other with A4500m) and difference isnt much

All current AAA games use more than 4 threads end of story. Games like Crysis 3 prefer real physical cores instead of HT threads. So that's an added advantage in core i7 CPU.

Top Bottom