Want to buy an eReader!

tkin

Back to school!!
Hey guys, I had recently picked up reading again and have dozens of ebooks to read(dozen or so), and I'm afraid my G2's lcd screen will harm my eyes on the long run. So I want to purchase a eReader. I have books in ePub but I think Calibre can convert them to mobi or other formats. My budget is 10k max and I'll be doing the purchase in october/november.

I want your suggestion and also if anyone owns any eReader please share your experience.

Also note this, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A TABLET. I want something with epaper.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Amazon kindle the newest version is pretty much the best ereader you can get.. I got the older E-ink display one and it's battery life is simply AMAZING
on top of that, it supports almost all ebook formats epub/mobi/pdf ..

only problem is my kindle doesnt have any backlight, therefore reading in the dark is not possible.. But i think newer kindles have backlight, might wanna check it out

EDIT : Yup, the normal kindle doesnt have any backlight but the paperwhite does..

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
whichever brand you consider, kobo, nook, kindle, choose an ER with backlight. night-time reading made possible!

- - - Updated - - -

is a 10 inch tablet better or kindle fire for reading purposes ?

depends entirely on usage. though reading experience would be far better on a screen with size definitely larger than 7" (esp., if reading PDFs), and 8" as well, but reading on a 10" screen might become tedious, if reading for long, holding the reader in hand (one had, that is). also, if reading during night, while lying down, that position might also interfere with an easy reading experience.

which kindle fire - 7", or 8.9"? and which 10" tab?

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Amazon kindle the newest version is pretty much the best ereader you can get.. I got the older E-ink display one and it's battery life is simply AMAZING
on top of that, it supports almost all ebook formats epub/mobi/pdf ..

only problem is my kindle doesnt have any backlight, therefore reading in the dark is not possible.. But i think newer kindles have backlight, might wanna check it out

EDIT : Yup, the normal kindle doesnt have any backlight but the paperwhite does..
Kindle basic is looking good, specially the fact since it does not have a touchscreen you can hold it like a book, i.e no need to awkwardly hold it in the back to avoid touching the screen.

This looks awesome, wish it was available here: *onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox-lynx-6-8-eink-e-book-reader-google-play-android4-bloetooth/

- - - Updated - - -

whichever brand you consider, kobo, nook, kindle, choose an ER with backlight. night-time reading made possible!

- - - Updated - - -

depends entirely on usage. though reading experience would be far better on a screen with size definitely larger than 7" (esp., if reading PDFs), and 8" as well, but reading on a 10" screen might become tedious, if reading for long, holding the reader in hand (one had, that is). also, if reading during night, while lying down, that position might also interfere with an easy reading experience.

which kindle fire - 7", or 8.9"? and which 10" tab?
For night time I can add a snap on light, paying 4k extra just for night time seems too much to me specially when I can buy this: Foldable LED Clip ON Reading Book Light Booklight Lamp | eBay

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I have used both kindle non touch and paperwhite. The paperwhite is very good for night time reading as it has backlight. For normal use non touch version is enough. The first thing you should do is install duokan os. This will give epub and better pdf support. Kindle os does not support epub.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Kindle basic is looking good, specially the fact since it does not have a touchscreen you can hold it like a book, i.e no need to awkwardly hold it in the back to avoid touching the screen.

This looks awesome, wish it was available here: *onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox-lynx-6-8-eink-e-book-reader-google-play-android4-bloetooth/

- - - Updated - - -

For night time I can add a snap on light, paying 4k extra just for night time seems too much to me specially when I can buy this: Foldable LED Clip ON Reading Book Light Booklight Lamp | eBay

i have a pair of those lights. first used them on paper books, and then on my e-reader. but e-reading using them, i didn't find it very pleasing, due to some glare, plus not enough focus, but nothing that you can't manage. for a pittance, the clip-on light is a good makeshift option, even if it carries some (minor) niggles. however, for outside-reading, a basic e-ink reader could again disappoint! experienced that too. though no one 'plans' to read outside/under daylight conditions per se, but at times, or, many-a-times, we just carry our e-readers for a travel/commute/picnic/leisure-trips, and then we take out the e-reader to quench our reading-thirst, is when we realise the uneasing-issue facing us.

don't let budgetary-woes bog you down. you don't need to spend much more than what a basic e-reader would cost you. have a look at this:

Kobo GLO Black | eBay

Kobo is also an acclaimed (Japanese) brand. check a few reviews of this model. the MRP is/was supposed to be 10-11k. moreover, its now not easily available at retail-stores (or perhaps no more available), or on the portals of authorised resellers here. though for the above listing, no discount-coupon might be applicable, as i had checked it about a month back, and at that time, this particular listing was not covered under rebates.

IMO, you should also be willing to consider used e-readers. there are many people who buy them thinking that they have accumulated a lot of ebooks & ezines, and will spend a lot of time reading them, but after buying an e-reader, the interest gradually wanes, and the e-reader then lies disused. there are many over at TE with e-readers (there had been a GO for NST too there sometime back), and am sure you could find one who would be willing to sell his e-reader to you. for instance, a friend and a member there had a sparsely used Kindle PW to sell and had asked me sometime back (though not listed for sale on the forum). if you're interested, i may ask him the status of his e-reader.

else, the model linked to above is a good & recommended, reasonable & affordable option for for a new-product purchase (though yes, it has a touch UI).

Last edited:
OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
i have a pair of those lights. first used them on paper books, and then on my e-reader. but e-reading using them, i didn't find it very pleasing, due to some glare, plus not enough focus, but nothing that you can't manage. for a pittance, the clip-on light is a good makeshift option, even if it carries some (minor) niggles. however, for outside-reading, a basic e-ink reader could again disappoint! experienced that too. though no one 'plans' to read outside/under daylight conditions per se, but at times, or, many-a-times, we just carry our e-readers for a travel/commute/picnic/leisure-trips, and then we take out the e-reader to quench our reading-thirst, is when we realise the uneasing-issue facing us.

don't let budgetary-woes bog you down. you don't need to spend much more than what a basic e-reader would cost you. have a look at this:

Kobo GLO Black | eBay

Kobo is also an acclaimed (Japanese) brand. check a few reviews of this model. the MRP is/was supposed to be 10-11k. moreover, its now not easily available at retail-stores (or perhaps no more available), or on the portals of authorised resellers here. though for the above listing, no discount-coupon might be applicable, as i had checked it about a month back, and at that time, this particular listing was not covered under rebates.

IMO, you should also be willing to consider used e-readers. there are many people who buy them thinking that they have accumulated a lot of ebooks & ezines, and will spend a lot of time reading them, but after buying an e-reader, the interest gradually wanes, and the e-reader then lies disused. there are many over at TE with e-readers (there had been a GO for NST too there sometime back), and am sure you could find one who would be willing to sell his e-reader to you. for instance, a friend and a member there had a sparsely used Kindle PW to sell and had asked me sometime back (though not listed for sale on the forum). if you're interested, i may ask him the status of his e-reader.

else, the model linked to above is a good & recommended, reasonable & affordable option for for a new-product purchase (though yes, it has a touch UI).
I'd been looking at that seller for some time now, but 92% on ebay doesn't comfort me, croma sells the kobo as astoundingly high price, most probably a ploy by amazon. I know kobo is good, even better that amazon that it supports epub. Budget is not a big problem, if I can spend 6k, 4k extra for a good model won't hurt, but its hard to justify paying 60% extra just for backlight. Paperwhite has nothing extra other than that.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yes, his feedback-score is low, as well as the device is listed for a far low price, and that's why i checked his feedback on Kobo sales. found them positive, hence i presumed that the risk could be taken.

a bump up of 4k for backlight alone indeed seems to be unreasonable, hence my options in order of preference would've been:

1. Kobo Glo/Kindle PW/Nook Glowlight as a seconds-purchase
2. Kobo Glo (new) at ~7k
3. clip-on light

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Two months back I ordered kobo from the same dealer. I got a phone call from them that the product cannot be shipped to my location (Kerala), eventhough 'Delivery anywhere in India' is mentioned. They asked if I can provide address in Banglore or Chennai, but I demanded for a refund. There communication seems to be good. They have a Serviceable Pin Code cheker at bottom of the listing, test it before placing order. I got refund a week later and I bought paperwhite from a member in erodov.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
thanks for sharing about your experience! you preferences matched mine, as listed above. :)
Kerala & WB are two areas where shipping is supposed to be difficult, and many sellers don't ship or hesitate to ship their products there. tkin, check beforehand.

- - - Updated - - -

got a feed about a member of another forum purchasing Kobo Glo from the same seller about whom we were discussing. here's his review:

*www.techenclave.com/community/threads/kobo-glo-review.168430/

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
thanks for sharing about your experience! you preferences matched mine, as listed above. :)
Kerala & WB are two areas where shipping is supposed to be difficult, and many sellers don't ship or hesitate to ship their products there. tkin, check beforehand.

- - - Updated - - -

got a feed about a member of another forum purchasing Kobo Glo from the same seller about whom we were discussing. here's his review:

*www.techenclave.com/community/threads/kobo-glo-review.168430/
Hmm, looks good, guess I'll order from him. I have time though as I am planning the purchase for Diwali. I have a big trip coming up and the finances are not cooperating much :p

Top Bottom