Want to buy a HDD enclosure

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I recently switched to a new AMD based build and my old 80 GB Seagate PATA is getting wasted since I don't want it to be inside the rig. Now, I want to use it as a external HDD and want a good quality HDD enclosure for it. To speak the truth, I don't have even little idea about which brand to go for. I searched about the same in eBay and got some results regarding nameless brands. Pretty confused on the matter, please suggest some good choices. It should have USB/eSATA to IDE/PATA cable.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Where do you stay? good brands of HDD cases are hard to find, you can buy any brand of which you have heard the name like tech-com, intex etc. cooler master or antec cases are very expensive and simply not available. (I purchased a tech-com case just a week back, in Kolkata). You can look for a case with a fan. It keeps the HDD cooler.

static_x

In the zone
For PATA HDDs only Tech-com, Enter & some other cheap enclosures are available in the market.
You may get it 'em for 400-500 depending upon the place you're. Moreover I would not recommend you to buy any costly case for the IDE drive as you may keep it for another year or two then it wil be a waste and you wont find IDE HDDs then to use your costly casing.
So my advice would be to go for such cheap casings and save some money for your new SATA HDD ;-)
The Tech-com and enter both are good for the money you spend on it and they will surve your purpose for now. :razz:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Yes, in fact, after reading Static_X's post, i'll also suggest that you go for these brands. There's not much in cases that can go wrong, so you can trust them. You can buy tech-com as the build quality is good and the Case is very stable in standing position (I'm using it, as stated earlier).

Also, I don't think that PATA cases will have eSATA connector. When the HDD's interface itself doesn't allow high speeds of SATA, what's the use of eSata interface on the case? You'll only get USB interface.

static_x

In the zone
I don't think that PATA cases will have eSATA connector. When the HDD's interface itself doesn't allow high speeds of SATA, what's the use of eSata interface on the case? You'll only get USB interface.

well..sorry I didn't read your post properly so missed out this part...For IDE drives' casings eSATA port is not available you can only get USB.

PraKs

Youngling
@Cool Buddy
Did u take this one

*cgi.ebay.in/3-5-SATA-HARD-DISK-CASING-DESKTOP-SATA-HDD-1Y-Wrnty-/350364360927

Hows the quality ?

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Thanks guys for your suggestions but I've already changed my mind last night. I decided to buy a new SATA2 HDD and a CoolerMaster USB/eSATA based case for it. They will cater my needs with faster performance and cheaper prices.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
@Cool Buddy
Did u take this one

*cgi.ebay.in/3-5-SATA-HARD-DISK-CASING-DESKTOP-SATA-HDD-1Y-Wrnty-/350364360927

Hows the quality ?

Yes, that one. The build quality is good, installation is cable less & hence very simple. 2 screws & even the screw driver is provided in the box it self. The case is quite stable on its side. average Speeds are around 28-29 MBps. HDD is WD green 500 GB 32 MB cache model. I bought it for Rs. 468 (450+VAT).

If you are buying one, try to get it checked before leaving the shop. I suppose the bundled USB cable was faulty, I'm using it with my printer's cable currently.

rbsubudhi

Right off the assembly line
Yes, in fact, after reading Static_X's post, i'll also suggest that you go for these brands. There's not much in cases that can go wrong, so you can trust them. You can buy tech-com as the build quality is good and the Case is very stable in standing position (I'm using it, as stated earlier).

Also, I don't think that PATA cases will have eSATA connector. When the HDD's interface itself doesn't allow high speeds of SATA, what's the use of eSata interface on the case? You'll only get USB interface.

Don't go for Tech-com as suggested by some body in this forum. The warranty is for 3 months only - very cheap, very unreliable. Mine went kaput in just 3 months and 3 days. I think it has also damaged my Seagate 1 tb hard disk.

Top Bottom