Visual Studio 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

midhunmon

Broken In
I want to install Visual Studio 2005 on my system.Can anyone tell me the exact HDD space (not the typical value)taken by the installation. Which types os VS 2005 r out in the market? Can u upgrade .net framework 2.0 to 3.5 on VS2005?
Also what is the diff between VS2005 and Visual Basic 6.0 .

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think .NET framework 3.5 is available in Visual Studio 2008.

@skghosh44: The express editions of VS2005 and 2008 are only FREE. The Professional needs to be bought.

shadow2get

In the zone
I want to install Visual Studio 2005 on my system.Can anyone tell me the exact HDD space (not the typical value)taken by the installation. Which types os VS 2005 r out in the market? Can u upgrade .net framework 2.0 to 3.5 on VS2005?

One cannot predict the EXACT HDD space. Check it in the system requirements for the VS 2005 installation. It also depends on whether you are going to install all the required components in it.

Regarding info on what versions of VS 2005 is there & its difference between earlier versions, have a look at the link below:

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Studio_2005

VS2005 will install .NET Framework 2.0.
If you want to upgrade the Framework from v2.0 to v3.5, you will need to do the following.

1. Install .NET framework v2.0. - 22.4MB (If not already installed)
2. Install .NET framework v3.0. - 50.3MB
3. Install .NET framework v3.5. - 197MB

You can find it here:
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=10

Visual Studio 2005 is the new version of Visual Studio 6 that is completely redesigned to work with the .NET technology. Visual Basic 6.0 was a part of Visual Studio 6 family which is a quiet different platform. Starting fro Visual Studio 7 (2002), Visual Studio has switched to .NET platform and all the languages included in it, ie. Visual Basic.NET, Visual C#.NET, Visual C++.NET and Visual J#.NET are now .NET based languages. Visual Basic too has got incredibly large amount of changes and it will not be wrong to call it a completely new language, although some similarities with the previous version remains for easy switching of platform for developers. No Visual Basic is squally powerful as any other language on .NET platform.

Visual Studio 2002 was targeted for .NET 1.0 platform, 2003 was at .NET 1.1, and like wise 2005 is targeted at .NET 2.0 platform. Similarly, VS 2008 is targeted at .NET 3.5 platform.

Now What happened to .NET 3.0 then? Well, After the much redesigning that Microsoft has done to the platform from version 1.1 to version 2.0, the platform (which is an independent thing from Visual Studio, mind it) has now come into a state where there will be no extravagant changes in the architecture in future. .NET 2.0 and 3.5 don't remove or change anything in .NET 2.0, they just add features to its feature set (this was not the case with 1.1 and 2.0, 2.0 changed a lot of things from 1.1). Hence Visual Studio 2005 can be configured to Work with .NET 3.0 too, but not with 3.5 i think.
Along with that, the new Visual Studio 2008 has the ability to compile your project for .NET 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5. You can choose it in your project's properties. So with this release, Microsoft has made sure that if you buy VS 2008, you don't need to have 2005, you can have all its features + the new ones.

Now, starting from the 2005 version, Visual Studio is also available in Express Editions which are scaled down, but quiet powerful versions or the Full Visual Studio and can be downloaded and used for free for non-commercial, learning use. in express edition, you do not get all the professional tools and you do not get an integrated IDE for all languages, instead you get one ide for each language you work upon.

And ya, don't be confused, Visual Studio is a family of products while Visual Basic is a part of it. Visual Basic 6 was in Visual Studio 6 and Visual Basic .NET 2005 is in Visual Studio 2005. Visual Basic 6 was not that powerful and was plagued with many different shortcomings and problems. Visual Basic.NET 2005 is a very powerful language with all the features of an Object oriented language.

And ya, full installation of Visual Studio 2005 with MSDN takes around 4.3 GB of hdd space, so as a safe value, keep at least 5 GB free on the drive.

I hope i cleared your confusions. :)

adi007

Youngling
Is it express edition or professional edition..
if it's express it will take around 3-4 GB...
if it's express i recommend u to use new latest Visual Studio 2008 express edition..
it's around 800+MB file iso
www.microsoft.com/express/download/

sandeepk

Journeyman
Express Edition of VS 2005/2008 will not take 3-4 GB. It is typically very small. For example C# Express 2005 only takes nearly 100 MB. But you will need extra space for MSDN Express installation. Same will be the case with 2008 Express.
Unfortunately you have to download whole ISO of over 800 MB for installation of VS 2008 Express if you don't have internet connection at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom