Vista SP1 might not be out until 2009!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
The tip, incredible. The source, ironclad. Microsoft has apparently told executives at one of the world’s largest PC makers not to expect a formal release of Windows Vista SP1 — the first major set of upgrades and bug fixes to its Vista operating system — until 2009 at the earliest. That explains why Microsoft was so desperate to correct erroneous reports, spread by a careless team of developers at Microsoft, that a beta version of SP1 would be out last week. Microsoft now says it “currently anticipates” a beta of SP1 later this year. Anticipations, of course, are not always met. Especially if you’re a sluggish beast like Microsoft, with thousands of developers to keep in train on a release. And this delay would have wide aftershocks.

The rumored delay in SP1, of course, means that it would be impossible for Microsoft to deliver its next version of Windows by 2010, as Windows watcher Mary Jo Foley believes. At ZDNet, David Berlind asks the smart question: Will any future version of Windows matter, as developers and users shift to the Web? Any delays in SP1, of course, make subsequent releases less and less relevant.

The delays in Vista, and its lack of must-have features, have already infuriated Microsoft’s most important partners, the PC makers who preinstall most copies of Windows sold. Gianfranco Lanci, CEO of Acer, the fourth-largest PC maker, has broken the code of silence, telling the FT Deutschland newspaper that “the entire industry is disappointed by Vista.” Historically, new releases of Windows have provided a boost to PC sales. Not so with Vista, Lanci contends.

And if PC makers have to wait two years for SP1, and more than that for the next version of Windows? Apple’s marketers will have a field day. And the notion of a mass-market Linux PC, once ludicrous, will look more and more plausible.

*www.windowsxlive.net/?p=1309

Bad news, eh?

anandk

Distinguished Member
had come across this... its an unsupported rumour from *valleywag.com/tech/rumormonger/microsofts-vista-sp1-fixes-not-out-until-2009-281853.php

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well even though the news has been doing rounds but i have my doubts i dont think ms can afford to wait till 2009 and secondly after the rushed launch of vista i think ms has played this as a move so that ppl's expectations dont pressurize them into launching sp1 soon also if sp1 is pushed to 2009 it would mean no updates throughout major part of 2008 and end of 2007 which is a long time and if they keep on coming with minor updates in the time frame slowly most of sp1 features will be already out not to mention that if sp1 is released in 2009 shelf life of visa increases pushing viena further

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Yeah, could be a rumour. 2009 is too far away, specially when MS has already revealed plans for their next OS.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I think Vista unlike Xp is pretty solid since the day it was released.
So regurarly looking for update will do it!

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox
hmm... let me just think.. how many ubuntu release will there be by 2009... with a 6 month release cycle.... well i guess enugh to increase linux popularity a lot.

IN YOUR FACE MS.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
tgpraveen said:
hmm... let me just think.. how many ubuntu release will there be by 2009... with a 6 month release cycle.... well i guess enugh to increase linux popularity a lot.

IN YOUR FACE MS.
So, according it will take Ubuntu 4 more releases to reach upto the user experience Vista provides today, gr8, well...you wait for Ubuntu to reach today's level of Vista, while I m doing my work & enjoying life using Vista :D

MS won't delay Vista SP1 this much, Maybe by Q1 2008 but most probably thats the limit. There are many corporations waiting for the first list of bugs to be fixed with SP1 before they decide to upgrade the computer they use to Vista. Not all corporations will do this anyway.

Believe it or not, Windows is so easy to use that even in corporations with installation restrictions, you can install VLC player to enjoy songs :D

Last edited:

Island Dog

Broken In
tgpraveen said:

IN YOUR FACE MS.

I have heard this for how many years now? I would like to see one Vista post without someone telling us that Linux is somehow going to take over Microsoft.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Vishal Gupta said:
Vista is good, I'm using it as primary OS and now I can't even think to work on XP. ;)

Same with me. I plan to use XP on Virtual PC. I plan to upgrade my RAM before that

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
tgpraveen said:

IN YOUR FACE MS.

Is there any real need to release a new version every 6 months? All the new versions looks the same, works the same. Why can't they release small update patches for petty changes rather than making users download a whole 700MB (3-4GB for other distro) every 6 months?

My advice to developers is take your time and do something BIG and better than rushing through 6 months to release yet another ubuntu. :confused:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Linux needs to learn something from Microsoft & Apple. Instead of a new OS every 6 months with minor changes, why not provide a service pack instead which is smaller & only has whats changed.

However the thing is, that in open source world, technology changes very rapidly without any stability or time given to any tech to mature.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
WTH!:mad: ..This News is totally Fake..See the Below link for real deal :!:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=556560&postcount=20

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
every new version of Linux distro has new kernel, other then gentoo..

There is no need of a new OS release in Gentoo, just download the package & compile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom