Vista Issues, Again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I've been using Vista for quite a while now... but its been acting up as of late.

1. It randomly stalls. In the sense pauses, becomes unresponsive, and then continues after a few seconds as if nothing happened.
  2. If I open up some folders, they take over thirty seconds to display the contents, even if there are only a few files in them.
  3. The mouse doesn't get stuck during these stalls.
  4. During these stalls, the cursor changes into the loading one [the green whirly thing]
  5. The frequency of the stalls is variable. Sometimes, it stalls five times in a minute, or not even once in an hour,
  6. The above are COMPLETELY random. An event that causes it to stall once need not stall it if recreated.
On my part, there is nothing I have really installed newly or anything. It just seems to have started off on its own!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I can't seem to put my finger on the problem.

Config :

• E6550
  • MSI P6N SLi V2
  • 2*1GB 667 MHz DDR2 [Transcend]
  • 160 GB SATA [Seagate]
  • XFX 8600GT 256 MB
  • All components are at stock speeds and voltages
  • Vista Ultimate, patched with latest hotfixes.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
No viruses.. checked with two scanners.. NOD32 and AVG...

Reinstall? How is that going to help? The problem just cropped up all of a sudden! I don't want to reinstall Vista for no reason.. I mean it is kind of a tedious process....

amol48

Searching...
Run a good anti-spyware (though I don't think this might help, but still give it a try ;)).

Also check if any files are corrupted using the Vista repair mode!

sakumar79

Technomancer
Run a Linux Live CD/DVD to work in Linux mode... Use if for a while... If similar problem occurs, you are more likely dealing with hardware issues and not software issues... On the other hand, if you have no problem with it, may be you have some issues on your Vista installation or some malware problems... Try working in safe mode for a while also...

Arun

aswin1

Journeyman
I had a similar problem while using Avast antivirus with Vista. May be due to some incompatible programs. Try uninstalling any programs recently installed.

Last edited:
OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I'm starting to think its a Hard Disk issue... because my RAM checked out clean [ran MemTest for over 8 hours]... what else can it be?

I really don't think its something to do with Vista, coz I actually had Ubuntu on dual boot, and when I tried logging on to that to see if the problem extended into Ubuntu, then it just ran a disk scan and started throwing up errors... I rebooted into Vista and ran SeaTools, the diagnostic utility to scan my disks and its not detecting my HDD!!!

I actually ran diagnostics before with SeaTools, so what's up now?! Any alternative tools to check for HDD issues?

But what's bugging me is that the OS has no reason to constantly access the HDD right? I mean when I'm.. say.. surfing the web, then its all running from the RAM right? Why should the HDD be accessed at all? Is it? I'm not too sure.

Also, I noticed that the problem increases when I perform tasks that are HDD intensive.. like playing a video or even a song!

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Update : okay, now I'm nearly sure that its a HDD issue. I managed to log onto Ubuntu and the problem isn't nearly as bad as Vista, but its there. When I try to access my HDD from Ubuntu, the file browser crashes. The same stalling thing also happens, but rarely.

Are there any tools apart from SeaTools I can use? And how is it that my HDD is not showing up in SeaTools? Is it like.. fake or something? Is that even possible? :sad:

aswin1

Journeyman
Download Hirens BootCD and burn it on a CD. Boot through this CD. It has many HDD checking software.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
I trust whenever you are noticing these stalls, you would be hearing a clicking noise from your harddisk.You hear these noises whenever there are bad sectors. Check your hard disk for bad sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom