Virus Problem with iPod Classic 80GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
SYSTEM- iPod Classic 80 GB

WORKING OS AND SOFTWARE- WinXP SP2 and iTunes

PROBLEM- My iPod is not switching on and neither my PC(virus-full) is detecting it. My iPod also has viruses. It was running good but ane day when I switched off my iPod, it didn't started again. I was watching movies on it before switching it off. Now, the authorised service center of Mumbai (Simply Wireless, Royal Palms, Goregaon(E)) is saying that softwares of iPod have been corrupted due to viruses and iPod will have to be formatted and softwares will have to be reinstalled. Cost is Rs.2500, which I don't want to pay.

QUERIES-
1. Can I myself reinstall its softwares, will I need WinXP or Mac for it?
2. Is it necessary that I go to authorised service center, can't I reinstall softwares from other service centers, which will reduce the cost?

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
Windows viruses in an Ipod ????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its ridiculious man..try some other service center if possible...They are surely trying to dupe you

smile

In the zone
I suggests u to go to authorised service center than doing by self as it may cause more problems:(

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Udaya Maurya said:
SYSTEM- iPod Classic 80 GB

WORKING OS AND SOFTWARE- WinXP SP2 and iTunes

PROBLEM- My iPod is not switching on and neither my PC(virus-full) is detecting it. My iPod also has viruses. It was running good but ane day when I switched off my iPod, it didn't started again. I was watching movies on it before switching it off. Now, the authorised service center of Mumbai (Simply Wireless, Royal Palms, Goregaon(E)) is saying that softwares of iPod have been corrupted due to viruses and iPod will have to be formatted and softwares will have to be reinstalled. Cost is Rs.2500, which I don't want to pay.

QUERIES-
1. Can I myself reinstall its softwares, will I need WinXP or Mac for it?
2. Is it necessary that I go to authorised service center, can't I reinstall softwares from other service centers, which will reduce the cost?
dude watever it is jus register ur iod and throw it at his face and tell him to get u a replacement ;)

smile

In the zone
iMav is right :p... Throw it on his face ..atleast if he is not taken much catching practice:cry::D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iPods don't get infected with viruses. The viruses that have crapped out your PC might be preventing your PC from working properly with it.

Reinstall Windows (XP or Vista only). Install iTunes 7.5. If there are still any issues, connect your iPod and hit the 'Restore' button in iTunes. If even that does not work or if iTunes does not recognise your iPod at all, ask for a replacement.

If the service centre guys misbehave, call AppleCare (toll free) at 1800 425 0744.

In any case, rest assured that iPods do not get infected by viruses. No chance at all. :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
He is asking for Rs 2500 to do What!

Go kick him in the U know what!

How the hell can a Windows virus hurt the iPod software.?

OP
U

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
OK, story goes ahead. I went to the Service Center and he had already repaired my iPod and started to beg for 2500. But I told him that I had only given you for diagnosis(free). So, final decision came to that he will uninstall the softwares from iPod and then I will not have to pay anything to him.

I've got another iPod Service Center in Goregaon(W) which will do the task in 800, must I go there also?

But the biggest question is that can't I myself reinstall its softwares, and also where will I get them?

aryayush said:
iPods don't get infected with viruses. The viruses that have crapped out your PC might be preventing your PC from working properly with it.

Reinstall Windows (XP or Vista only). Install iTunes 7.5. If there are still any issues, connect your iPod and hit the 'Restore' button in iTunes. If even that does not work or if iTunes does not recognise your iPod at all, ask for a replacement.

If the service centre guys misbehave, call AppleCare (toll free) at 1800 425 0744.

In any case, rest assured that iPods do not get infected by viruses. No chance at all. :)

Absolutely, I was also thinking that this must be the case and the Service Center is looting me. Thanks for reply and suggestion.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
YOU NEED NOT PAY FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE WHEN ITS UNDER WARRANTY!

PS: Make sure you've registered your iPod at the registration site before you put forth the above mentioned statement.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
o my dear fren have u registered ur ipod online? if no then do it now doesnt matter if it was purchased from alfa u can still get it and then if ur coming to goregaon (there is 1 in inorbit mall 1st floor i guess) other wise there is a unicorn something opposite laxmi ind center in andheri 2mins from fame adlabs ...

but dude dont pay anything .... it has to be free .... register it and avail apple's great replacement policy

o btw hav u tried this:

*www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I was searching for that page. Thanks, iMav! :)

@Udaya Maurya
You're welcome. :)

Follow iMav's link. The "five Rs" fix most issues.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
I was searching for that page. Thanks, iMav! :)

@Udaya Maurya
You're welcome. :)

Follow iMav's link. The "five Rs" fix most issues.
i keep it as a bookmark have to mail it and post it frequently :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom