Virtualization in Linux: Parallels virtualization software is now available in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
This week Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, announced a partnership with Parallels, maker of the Virtualization products Parallels Workstation and Parallels Desktop for Mac. Consequently, the Parallels Workstation virtualization software is now available to download and install in Ubuntu Linux, completely supported by Canonical, and done entirely through the Add/Remove programs interface. This makes four different virtualization programs -- three of which are installable via the package repositories...

MORE

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Re: Virtualization in Linux: Parallels virtualization software is now available in Ub

Nice move... I was using VirutalBox previously , be this move is really good. I hope Parallels takes full advantage of the new processor technology :)

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Re: Virtualization in Linux: Parallels virtualization software is now available in Ub

Nice news...

Thanks !!!

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.

Have been trying out Parallels, No drastic changes over VirtualBox. Parallels is trialware for 15 days only. Stick to VirtualBox.

praka123

left this forum longback

how much memory is needed for running a virtual OS in a Linux box?
I got net free: 384MB only :( (got a 256 mb dedicated gfx card).

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Here are some pictures from my box...This can give you an idea.

*img409.imageshack.us/img409/2165/image1qg1.th.png*img409.imageshack.us/img409/8084/image2oo1.th.png*img409.imageshack.us/img409/8423/image3bq9.th.png

As you can see I am running "Solaris 10" from within Ubuntu. Yet I've half of RAM available without using a single byte of swap space. I can run another VM if I want easily. VirtualBox is a great piece of software. Try it. You will be amazed.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

I have used VirtualBox and liked it verymuch. But I found a network related problem in it, when ever I try to create a shared folder in linux and try to access it via XP (virtual) the XP would crash.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

virtual box has a good feature that lets u merge both ur desktops into 1 ...

OP
subratabera

subratabera

I have used VirtualBox and liked it verymuch. But I found a network related problem in it, when ever I try to create a shared folder in linux and try to access it via XP (virtual) the XP would crash.
Have you installed "The VirtualBox Guest Additions" in Windows XP?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^^ Yes I had installed the additions. I have stoped using Vbox due to lag ( blame it on my system ). any virtulization software requires good amount of RAM and Procy horse power ..

OP
subratabera

subratabera

^^^ Yes I had installed the additions. I have stoped using Vbox due to lag ( blame it on my system ). any virtulization software requires good amount of RAM and Procy horse power ..

True. You need more system resources to run multiple VMs. By the way, I can run "Solaris 10" and "WinXP" simultaneously in my box which has a P4 2.8 GHz proccy and 1GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom