Very unique issue with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polter

Broken In
I've been an avid admirer of Microsoft Windows for a couple of years now, and I have been using the OS without any actual problem that I can't fix myself. However, I've come a across a situation which has now forced me to use the Windows 7 beta release because I am not able to use windows XP, which I am most comfortable with. Let me explain why -

The first OS i installed on my computer was Win XP SP2. When SP3 was released, I installed that one promptly. When Windows 7 Beta became available, I decided to give it a try and format my drive and installed the new OS. But since, I found that 7 was in beta, it was not completely reliable, so I switched back to XP.

When I switched back to XP (SP2), the installation went fine, and I was able to log on to windows without any problem. The issue started as soon as I installed my motherboard drivers. When I restarted my system after installing the drivers, a whole lot of errors started cropping up, especially the one with "data execution prevention" and "run a virus check" usually follows, and I wasn't able to run many programs, including "system" in the control panel. "data execution prevention" wouldn't allow me to run programs, which were mostly Windows native programs. At one point, windows totally stopped me from logging on. All I could run was the Task Manager.

I restarted my PC into safe mode to see if I could find any solution. However, the problem persisted and so, I change my installation disk to SP3, and reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows. The same problem crops up after installing the motherboard drivers, and now I'm really baffled because this is my first experience of this kind after using Windows for so many years.

Please note that this problem does not arise with Windows 7 or Vista.

If anyone could help me solve this issue, I'd be really grateful. Here's my System Configuration:

Intel core 2 Duo processor E4600 @ 2.40 GHZ
1 GB RAM
Currently running Windows 7 (without any issues)
2 SATA hard disks, 160 GB each
Windows Installation discs I use (that both installed correctly) - Windows XP SP2, and SP3
Motheboard - ASUS with NVIDIA Chipset
Drivers
-chipset -NVIDIA chipset driver 16.11 package for XP and 64bit XP.(WHQL)
-NVIDIA chipset driver 16.11 package for Vista and 64bit Vista.(WHQL)
-RIS -RIS 67.53 for MCP73.
-NDIS_542 -NDIS_542 for MCP73.
-Audio -Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.5490 for Windows XP 32/64bit (WHQL).
-Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.5490 for Windows Vista & 64bit Vista(WHQL).

Last edited:

pavasedge

Your worst nightmare
Try deleting the paging file and then setting it again.Run disk check.If paging file gets currupted similar issues occur.Also when u install ur motherboard drivers,install them one by one and reboot after every driver install finishes.This will help u in finding out which driver is actually causing trouble.

if you dont mind please answer these questions ... it ll help isolate the problem

1) Are the problems cropping up only after the installation of the drivers ?
if so ,the problem is obviously with your drivers

2) where did you install your motherboard drivers from ?? did you download or did you have the old motherboard cd ??

Are you sure you are installing the correct drivers for the corresponding motherboard chipset and not drivers of a different chipset ?

OP
P

Polter

Broken In
Try deleting the paging file and then setting it again.Run disk check.If paging file gets currupted similar issues occur.Also when u install ur motherboard drivers,install them one by one and reboot after every driver install finishes.This will help u in finding out which driver is actually causing trouble.

I did install them one by one and reboot after every driver install finishes, and each Motherboard driver caused the problem. I'm now wondering if this has to do with hard disk defect...though I'm not aware of any on mine..
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
if you dont mind please answer these questions ... it ll help isolate the problem

1) Are the problems cropping up only after the installation of the drivers ?
if so ,the problem is obviously with your drivers

2) where did you install your motherboard drivers from ?? did you download or did you have the old motherboard cd ??

Are you sure you are installing the correct drivers for the corresponding motherboard chipset and not drivers of a different chipset ?

1) Yes, the problems crop up only after the installation of the drivers
2) I have them on my hard drive, copied from the original CD
3) Yes I'm sure cos they work perfectly before

Is it possible that installing Windows 7 might have caused the problem on my hard drive? (though I did a full format before installing XP again)

Last edited:
OP
P

Polter

Broken In
Problem solved! It didn't have anything to do with the DEP, but rather with the drivers that were compressed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom