Very slow boot and disk usage

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 2nd last screenshot of task manager above there is a service "microsoft windows system pr..." with high disk usage(8.6MB/s) which my guess is system protection service related to system restore points.Try disabling this service to see if it helps.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
CHKDSK

/F not specified. /F is to fix any errors. However this is irrelevant as your HDD does not have any bad sector issues.

It seems you have some other understanding about my point about restore point & services. Also it appears that you might have somehow missed my subsequent post on this topic.

Creating a restore point now is not towards any solution. It’s just to have a fallback. To create a restore point search ‘Restore Point’ in Control panel and create one now. After that go to Admin Tools -> Services and look for all services that are set to automatic. Now disable them one by one (Review them, read the description and take a decision) and check by booting again and again just if you can nail down on that or those services that are hogging resources at start up! Also disable Windows update service for now. If you are getting unpredictable results, you have that restore point to safely go back to. Else you may not remember what you altered later in services considering their high count. This is time consuming.

About restore point did you click on ‘Choose a different restore point’? Does it show older ones by any chance?

Also I have mentioned in subsequent reply that you should try a Clean Boot approach as well. Another thing to try is to put executable ‘taskmgr.exe’ in startup or create a task that will start it at logon. This will force windows to open task manager right after login (Just hopeful here, else even it might get into Not Responding status right after logon) and you might get a chance to get a glimpse of that problematic process that’s hogging resources. It appear that right now by the time you get your hands on ALT + CTRL + DEL the system has returned to normalcy.

One more thing to try is create a password for your login and measure the time it takes to reach the Login Prompt and then to the desktop after entering the password and find out which is longer. That might give you some idea if the pre-logon boot is slower or post logon and can streamline the troubleshooting approach.
Will get back asap.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
In 2nd last screenshot of task manager above there is a service "microsoft windows system pr..." with high disk usage(8.6MB/s) which my guess is system protection service related to system restore points.Try disabling this service to see if it helps.
How to disable it? From registry?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
An update. WD is still deactivated but now the disk usage is like 100% even after 5-10 minutes, check the screenshots-

*i65.tinypic.com/5f52u1.jpg

What are these green icons?
*i66.tinypic.com/15hy7nt.jpg

After about 15 minutes the disk usage went to normal

*i66.tinypic.com/34i0ffs.jpg

@whitestar_999
I did not find any microsoft windows system pr.... or system protection anywhere. What's wrong here?

@patkim
Creating a restore point now is not towards any solution. It’s just to have a fallback. To create a restore point search ‘Restore Point’ in Control panel and create one now. After that go to Admin Tools -> Services and look for all services that are set to automatic. Now disable them one by one (Review them, read the description and take a decision) and check by booting again and again just if you can nail down on that or those services that are hogging resources at start up! Also disable Windows update service for now. If you are getting unpredictable results, you have that restore point to safely go back to. Else you may not remember what you altered later in services considering their high count. This is time consuming.

There are tons of services which are set to automatic. I seriously have no idea which one to disable as all of them are related to system.

About restore point did you click on ‘Choose a different restore point’? Does it show older ones by any chance?
It showed this-
*i67.tinypic.com/2e53as3.jpg

Also I have mentioned in subsequent reply that you should try a Clean Boot approach as well.

No time for this :(

Another thing to try is to put executable ‘taskmgr.exe’ in startup or create a task that will start it at logon.
How to do that?

One more thing to try is create a password for your login and measure the time it takes to reach the Login Prompt and then to the desktop after entering the password and find out which is longer. That might give you some idea if the pre-logon boot is slower or post logon and can streamline the troubleshooting approach.
Will get back about this.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try solution 1 & 2,looks like a windows update related issue.
Fix: High Disk or CPU Usage "Service Host Delivery Optimization" - Appuals.com

As for those green icons:
Green Leaf Icon? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Try solution 1 & 2,looks like a windows update related issue.
Fix: High Disk or CPU Usage "Service Host Delivery Optimization" - Appuals.com

As for those green icons:
Green Leaf Icon? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

I didn't get time to follow the steps as mentioned in those threads. Switched on the system today, its updated to the latest version. Still slow when switched on and now the time of slowness has increased about t+5 minutes.
Check the screenshots, what are those highlighted things doing there? + @Minion

SS Tonight.jpg
SS Tonight 1.jpg
SS Tonight 2.jpg
SS Tonight 4.png
Winver.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1st pic top 4 are asus related services,you can leave them as it is.Other 6 below are apps,you can turn off their updates using app settings in control panel.

2nd pic those 4+3 underline are all ms system services.

3rd pic the reason for very high disk usage is ms telemetry service & there is nothing much you can do about this.This is also one of the main reason to get a ssd for running win 10.The other 2 underline are asus related services most likely those function keys/touchpad related.

4th pic again ms system service.

Most interesting among all these 4 pics is 0.dat service(1st service in 1st pic) by nvidia.
*forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1054122/geforce-experience/what-is-0-dat-/2/
0.dat is a heavy compressed download of the ApplicationOntology folder which is where all the game setting stuff of GeForce Experience is. When it detects an outdated version it will download it and update the game settings profiles this way. 0.dat running is it beeing extracted.

The disk usage comes from the fact that it is a 3.6mb file that extracts into a 90mb folder with 2700 files which takes 10s even on my ssd and probably a lot longer on a harddisk because of the big amount of small files which hard disks really hate.

Of course the main issue is still that ms telemetry service but this 0.dat service should also be kept under check.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@whitestar_999
1st pic top 4 are asus related services,you can leave them as it is.Other 6 below are apps,you can turn off their updates using app settings in control panel.

Not able to find those 6 in control panel. Where are they located?

2nd pic those 4+3 underline are all ms system services.

Done.

3rd pic the reason for very high disk usage is ms telemetry service & there is nothing much you can do about this.This is also one of the main reason to get a ssd for running win 10.The other 2 underline are asus related services most likely those function keys/touchpad related.
Well my laptop is also having a normal hdd. Why isn't the telemetry service slowing it down? Leaving the asus one's as it is.

4th pic again ms system service.

Done

Most interesting among all these 4 pics is 0.dat service(1st service in 1st pic) by nvidia.
*forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1054122/geforce-experience/what-is-0-dat-/2/

Of course the main issue is still that ms telemetry service but this 0.dat service should also be kept under check.

Can I disable block this 0.dat service? Did you check those no name services?

About your last post, should I follow the steps mentioned in those links?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is why I never suggest anybody to run win 10 home:
*lifehacker.com/disable-windows-10-app-updates-with-this-setting-but-only on Pro-1724069114

MS telemetry service is quite complex,its behaviour is not uniform on all systems.Maybe your asus laptop has some different update or maybe because it is a laptop with gfx card that it is doing something which your desktop doesn't. You can try turning off telemetry but again it is not available for home version.Maybe your desktop is running win 10 pro & telemetry is disabled/not set to high activity etc.

Yes,that 0.dat service can be safely disabled,worst case scenario you will need to download & update nvidia driver/components manually by downloading them from nvidia site.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I highly doubt that WD is causing this as I am using the same in my low spec laptop and from day 1 of building this pc, it boots faster than this pc. I will disable it though I doubt that it is causing this problem.
Windows defender is known for high disk usage my suggestion would be buy bitdefender plus for 179 from amazon.in

Minion

Conversation Architect
I didn't get time to follow the steps as mentioned in those threads. Switched on the system today, its updated to the latest version. Still slow when switched on and now the time of slowness has increased about t+5 minutes.
Check the screenshots, what are those highlighted things doing there? + @Minion

View attachment 17846 View attachment 17847 View attachment 17848 View attachment 17849 View attachment 17850
0.dat is nvidia geforce experience remove geforce experience from control panel its useless

Top Bottom