Very slow boot and disk usage

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

Since the past few weeks the booting time of my Win 10 desktop has increased exponentially. It takes more than 60 seconds to get to the windows screen and then takes about 40-50 seconds for the icons to turn normal and during this period the disk usage is 100%. It becomes normal after another 40-50 seconds. There is no lag afterwards. The windows start screen/the loading page where the username is written takes about 20 seconds. No login password is set. The system is up to date with all the drivers. I don't get time to use it frequently hence I cannot say which update caused this. Here are few screenshots-

*i66.tinypic.com/2hs0zzc.jpg

*i65.tinypic.com/zsp9o1.jpg

*i66.tinypic.com/10ehsae.jpg

*i67.tinypic.com/sfhypz.jpg

What should I do?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your screenshot you missed the most important thing,the process which is actually causing 100% disk usage(will be highlighted in task manager under disk usage).

Btw I seriously recommend getting a ssd,120gb now costs just 1.8k.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Some basic tryouts..
-Do you have Fast Boot enabled? If yes disable that first of all both in BIOS if present as well as in Power options.
-Check your disk for any bad sectors.
-You don't seem to have many programs enabled in Startup still also check with third party app like CCleaner and remove any unwanted startup programs.
-If you have system restore enabled, just try to restore to an earlier state and check
-What if you boot into Safe Mode, what's the difference in the boot times. When minimal set of drivers and apps load?
-Create a restore point. Now go to Admin tools->> Services and sort on Automatic. Look for all automatic services and after reading the description decide which ones can be set to Manual. Make a note of this so that you can restore later if need be or just use the restore point you created.
-Optimize page file size say min 4096 MB max 4096 MB

Later when time permits, try Reset Windows 10. Keep your files if you wish to but you will have to reinstall apps.

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@patkim

-Do you have Fast Boot enabled? If yes disable that first of all both in BIOS if present as well as in Power options.
Haven't changed any default setting. Power option doesn't have that kinda setting afaik. Is it located in BIOS?

Will share the Crystal disk report here. Showed it to @whitestar_999 last month, it was fine as per him.

-You don't seem to have many programs enabled in Startup still also check with third party app like CCleaner and remove any unwanted startup programs.
No need I guess, very few apps rest are games.

-If you have system restore enabled, just try to restore to an earlier state and check
It's disabled.

-What if you boot into Safe Mode, what's the difference in the boot times. When minimal set of drivers and apps load?
Will try and get back.

-Create a restore point. Now go to Admin tools->> Services and sort on Automatic. Look for all automatic services and after reading the description decide which ones can be set to Manual. Make a note of this so that you can restore later if need be or just use the restore point you created.
If a restore point is now created it will be of the current date, right?

Will check and get back.

Later when time permits, try Reset Windows 10. Keep your files if you wish to but you will have to reinstall apps.
No time to reset and reinstall everything, it's a matter of last resort.

Thanks brother.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
In your screenshot you missed the most important thing,the process which is actually causing 100% disk usage(will be highlighted in task manager under disk usage).

Btw I seriously recommend getting a ssd,120gb now costs just 1.8k.

Will share a ss of the same, give me a day or two.
I know you even posted about in some other thread but I really don't need it. Trust me no time to even switch on the pc+ except boot times the system is lag free. So, I can skip it. Moreover no time to install windows+all the apps in it again.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
The restore point will be of current date. The reason I have suggested this approach above is to nail down on a possible 'Service' that might be the culprit. And that you can find out by trial and error. The idea behind restore point is just to enable you to go back to the same working state if messing around with Services gives you a problem.

Try Clean Boot approach. Search the Internet for the exact process how to enable clean boot on Windows 10.

If it's still slow then one of the Windows process is the culprit. A service might be responsible Else it could be a third party process. Then step by step enable each third party process and see what makes the difference.

About Fast Boot - Go to Control Panel -Power Options - What Power Buttons Do and check if there's a setting called Fast Startup. If not, it may not be present on your system. If it's there, click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' and disable the same.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will share a ss of the same, give me a day or two.
I know you even posted about in some other thread but I really don't need it. Trust me no time to even switch on the pc+ except boot times the system is lag free. So, I can skip it. Moreover no time to install windows+all the apps in it again.
Your choice then but you won't need to install everything again,you can simply migrate your windows/C drive from hdd to ssd using software so it will be an exact duplicate of your current windows install.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Your choice then but you won't need to install everything again,you can simply migrate your windows/C drive from hdd to ssd using software so it will be an exact duplicate of your current windows install.
Rehen de bhai kyu kharcha karva raha hai. Modi agge hi bahut karva raha hai. Will share the ss asap.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I made a video since when the pc starts the processing is very very slow and can't take screenshots properly. The video's size is like 1.5gb+ so uploading few screenshots here. Is it possible to take second by second screenshots using some software? From the time of pc boot till it becomes normal for usage is like 4.52 minutes. The fan and hdd makes huge noise during this period and then it becomes normal.

*i68.tinypic.com/v430ci.jpg

*i64.tinypic.com/2i66fk.jpg

*i64.tinypic.com/mmy7h2.jpg

*i68.tinypic.com/25he5c8.jpg

*i67.tinypic.com/2emhogp.jpg

*i63.tinypic.com/xol21h.jpg

*i68.tinypic.com/30kc84i.jpg

*i68.tinypic.com/dm2sme.jpg

100% GPU usage

*i63.tinypic.com/34evnfd.jpg

*i66.tinypic.com/155s5ed.jpg

What is this GPU 0 - Copy?

After a minute or so after the icons are normal

*i66.tinypic.com/2q0vbkh.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems you are only using win 10 inbuilt defender.Install avira free version & try running it for few days to see if there is any performance improvement.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
It seems you are only using win 10 inbuilt defender.Install avira free version & try running it for few days to see if there is any performance improvement.
I highly doubt that WD is causing this as I am using the same in my low spec laptop and from day 1 of building this pc, it boots faster than this pc. I will disable it though I doubt that it is causing this problem.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Upgrade to Linux. Not even trolling.
If the work you do can be done in Linux, there is no reason to use Bindows now. With all the bugs that have been cropping recently, I have started to use Ubuntu and Mint (on secondary PCs) primarily now.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Upgrade to Linux. Not even trolling.
If the work you do can be done in Linux, there is no reason to use Bindows now. With all the bugs that have been cropping recently, I have started to use Ubuntu and Mint (on secondary PCs) primarily now.

Can't do that because of only Windows specific apps that I need to use.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@patkim

Not able to find it anywhere. Any help with this?

*i66.tinypic.com/f0rt03.jpg

*i64.tinypic.com/w7ietv.jpg

*i67.tinypic.com/255kole.jpg

@whitestar_999 told me to change values of few things once, but lazy me I didn't. Hope that's not making it slow.
The hdd is making this kinda noise when it is booting up. But now I have noticed that it is regularly making this noise. Maybe its the hdd's component's spinning idk. If there's any upload to view video site besides YT then please let me know.
VID_20181114_011636.mp4

Used Revo Uninstaller and only needed programs are installed. No junk.

Pardon me it is set to auto create, but I can revert back to 11-11-2018. Should I delete it and save some space?

*i64.tinypic.com/b8wb4y.jpg

*i64.tinypic.com/11sk1so.jpg

Forgot about this one. Will get back asap.

I can only find the below one's under admin tools+if I manually create a restore point now then it wouldn't solve the purpose, right?
*i63.tinypic.com/2qnyv0h.jpg

Change for both the drives?

*i65.tinypic.com/5y81ma.jpg

No time for this :(

patkim

Cyborg Agent
CHKDSK

/F not specified. /F is to fix any errors. However this is irrelevant as your HDD does not have any bad sector issues.

It seems you have some other understanding about my point about restore point & services. Also it appears that you might have somehow missed my subsequent post on this topic.

Creating a restore point now is not towards any solution. It’s just to have a fallback. To create a restore point search ‘Restore Point’ in Control panel and create one now. After that go to Admin Tools -> Services and look for all services that are set to automatic. Now disable them one by one (Review them, read the description and take a decision) and check by booting again and again just if you can nail down on that or those services that are hogging resources at start up! Also disable Windows update service for now. If you are getting unpredictable results, you have that restore point to safely go back to. Else you may not remember what you altered later in services considering their high count. This is time consuming.

About restore point did you click on ‘Choose a different restore point’? Does it show older ones by any chance?

Also I have mentioned in subsequent reply that you should try a Clean Boot approach as well. Another thing to try is to put executable ‘taskmgr.exe’ in startup or create a task that will start it at logon. This will force windows to open task manager right after login (Just hopeful here, else even it might get into Not Responding status right after logon) and you might get a chance to get a glimpse of that problematic process that’s hogging resources. It appear that right now by the time you get your hands on ALT + CTRL + DEL the system has returned to normalcy.

One more thing to try is create a password for your login and measure the time it takes to reach the Login Prompt and then to the desktop after entering the password and find out which is longer. That might give you some idea if the pre-logon boot is slower or post logon and can streamline the troubleshooting approach.

Top Bottom