Using paypal to freelance? This govt. rule will kill your business

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Indian freelancers are going to bleed, if this rule goes through

In short, if you are a freelancer that gets paid via paypal or Payoneer then post Oct17 every payment will attract 18% GST and will require a separate FIRC (which costs Rs200 + GST). This will effectively DESTROY the indian freelance market.

You can read the full article and sign the petition here Indian freelancers are going to bleed, if this rule goes through

If you are getting any kind of payments via Paypal/Payoneer or hope to do so in the future then please sign now.

Flash

Lost in speed
get paid by cryptocurrency
Meghwal ruled out instant policy measures to legalise introduction of crypto currency for security and commodities related transactions in Indian context pointing out though that a Committee has been set up to examine the pros and cons on the subject.

Govt keeping an eye on GST implementation regularly: Meghwal

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Apparently Paypal has confirmed that the 18% GST is applicable only on the fee charged by PayPal and not the entire amount. This makes more sense

However the catch remains, all exports are tax exempt. To get that exemption you need a FIRC (200 bucks). So unless your payment amount is large (not the case in freelance) you'll spend crazy money and time getting this.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
so if I recieve 500k INR income from freelance via paypal then will i pay 90000 gst or does it work differently?

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
What is the rate at which that tax is exempted?

PayPal fee is 4.4 % +$0.30 if the international payment received is upto $3000.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
What is the rate at which that tax is exempted?

PayPal fee is 4.4 % +$0.30 if the international payment received is upto $3000.
Does this get applied at all amounts? I've been checking my account and can't see such a fee. Or do they automatically cut it when they transfer?

Yes, Paypal confirmed 18% on paypal fee. But even thats a bummer as exports are supposed to be exempt

You can follow the petition here
Sign the Petition

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Most people in US and Europe will choose PayPal as the payment service. They might not know about Payoneer.

Top Bottom