User account Restricted access on Windows 7

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
Hi!

I have a VAIO with Windows 7 home premium 64bit. I have two partitions on my system.
Situation is, I have flatmates who are in the habit of snooping around in my laptop. I have personal family photos, and most importantly, official documents filling most of my "my documents" in C: and entire D:
Both of these partitions are NTFS.
To solve this problem, i created a user account without administrator privileges. However it did not stop the preying eyes from scanning the contents of my computer.
I was wondering if there's any way to create a user account that:
1. Restricts access to any folder of other profiles on C:
2. Restricts access to d:
<edit>
3. Have internet access and other programs available. I just want my files hidden, not everything.
</edit>

I am skeptical about changing the access settings on individual files.
Please suggest a solution to my problem. Thanks guys :)

P.S. If there's any other thread dealing with the same problem, please let me know. I tried searching, but i could not find it.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well, the article here will do the trick :D

How to Deny Access to Files or Folders in Windows Vista - How-To Geek

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@club_pranay: Create an Admin account with password & another Standard account (w/o password)

use the admin account with password for u. & standard account to others

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
@thetechfreak: thanks for the link. However, I wasnt very sure if I want to change the access settings on all individual files. Is there any other way to completely hide just the D: without changing access settings to all the individual files?

@Zangetsu: Creating a user account will not prevent the user to view or edit files in neutral location (like secondary hdds and partitions)

gameranand

Living to Play
If you need extreme privacy then you can use Truecrypt to hide entire partition or password protect them or make a container and put your personal files in the container. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@Zangetsu: Creating a user account will not prevent the user to view or edit files in neutral location (like secondary hdds and partitions)

buddy once u have the admin account u can give other users access rights to any partition (like read/write/copy/edit etc)..
u can also give rights that the drive will not open...:grin:

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
buddy once u have the admin account u can give other users access rights to any partition (like read/write/copy/edit etc)..
u can also give rights that the drive will not open...:grin:

thanks for clarifying. However, coming back to my question, can you please tell me how? (without changing permissions on individual files)

Top Bottom