use your UNused computing power

pra85

Blogger
is your computer running all night to download some stuff(legally) or is your computer just switched on,doing nothing

then i suggest u download a software called BOINC ( BOINC )
as the website tell ,it uses the idle time on your computer to do some research work like curing diseases,discover pulsars, and doing many other types of scientific research

i came to know about it july last year and have been using it since then
i have volunteered for for the World community grid project ( World Community Grid - Home )

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Its only goodwill work and who knows your computer might be the one which finds first alien life or maybe cure to cancer or maybe what not

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I remember PS3 had this kind of initiative when it came out. Researchers used PS3's cell processor to do some skeletal molecular calculations for curing cancer. It was well received back then.

I remember PS3 had this kind of initiative when it came out. Researchers used PS3's cell processor to do some skeletal molecular calculations for curing cancer. It was well received back then.

@Vamsi There is a worldwide community of a thing called Folding@Home which pertains to assisting the Stanford University in finding potential cures for many fatal diseases. The link I gave is from OCN, who themselves are number 3 in the world rankings of folders. I also have been folding for OCN since the last 2-3 months (even with my overtly old, slow system).

If this is popularized here, then it'll be of great contribution to medical science.

If you happen know of this beforehand then it's okay...else please check it out and see if such a thing is possible here.

Thank you. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
pra85

pra85

Blogger
let say u hav to sign up for world community grid(wcg)
then go to wcg website and go to signup page (World Community Grid - Register)

register your self there and then open your BOINC client
as this is your first run it will show you a list of projects ,scroll down to wcg and click next then enter your user name and password and u are ready to go

if it doesn't show the list of projects and it is a small rectangular window then switch to advanced view and in Tools click Attach to a project or account manager, then select attach to project and then a list of projects come ,do as mentioned earlier.

(if you have to use your computer for any other project then go that projects site and register and do as above)

in the advanced view go to the Advanced -> Preferences and select the processor usage as per your needs

my Preferences screenshot
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Top Bottom